Someone on the bus sat in front of me smelt of fags and chip oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Only time I seem to use the blue is for park & ride.
Cambridge has a brilliant system.
Best thing ever for a days shopping and sights.

Oxo

Guru
[QUOTE 4976957, member: 9609"]Too much hygene about generally that's why the NHS is at breaking point, people need to be more natural.[/QUOTE]
Brilliant, you ought to be a politician.
NHS doesn't do hygiene any more, all patients get infections and subsequently die. No patients left, NHS on top of the game so budgets can be cut leaving more money for other pressing problems like MP's pay and pensions.

hobo

O' wise one
Modern irony i see is the obsession with cleaning wipes being flung around the house, the kids faces,etc then it's off to the supermarket to buy the o so clean chicken that's been mopped around the factory floor and repacked and is 5 days old already.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Agreed with the statements about health issues possibly being the cause of less than hygienic living.
At my lowest, I have gone 2 -3 weeks without a wash or shave due to depression. It's rarely an issue these days as I have my girls to keep me going, but when you feel so low that you're on the verge of giving up on life, having a scrub isn't one of life's priorities.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Curiously in places like the sweltering Middle East you never meet people who smell bad; there's a religious obligation on people to wash their bodies and for their clothes to be spotless and even some mosques require that you wear certain perfumes for certain prayer times, the idea being that the aura of perfume gives more potency to the prayers. So you will be overwhelmed by sweet, woody musky perfumes but not unwashed clothes or body odours.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I was once commuting in by bus which is about 25 mins. I went on the upper deck and about two stops later a youngish bloke gets on and sits two seats behind me. Within a minute, I got a hit of something that smelt like stale sweat mixed with poo. It stunk like a bad fartxx(. However, it didn't dissipate and just filled the top deck to the extent where people started going downstairs. When I came to get off, the lower deck was jammed with people trying to get away from the pong.
I have never seen so many people get off a bus so quick:laugh:. I reckon this bloke either hadn't washed for a week or two and may have had dropped of those farts that was a little bit more substantial than he anticipated...:blush:. Whatever the reason, it was almost gagging!.

We only have Accy's word for what the scent reminded him of... it could of course have been something else. But it seems some people are more keen on judging than thinking.
I don't see anything judgemental in Accy's post. I see observation and question, not statement of judgement. Fact is, humans don't like bad smells and going on a social warrioring trail doesn't alter the fact.

Milzy

Guru
Some ailments do cause the body to emit certain scents. That smelly bloke on the bus may be fully aware of his stench and may be thoroughly embarrassed about it, yet unable to do anything about it. Rather than judge, i suggest thinking instead, and maybe even thanking your lucky stars that it's not you.
No he was just a peasant scratter created through capitalism.

Globalti

Legendary Member
People get used to the gradual deterioration in the own appearance and cleanliness and their increasing odour.

When I worked in a bike factory in Darlaston I had a manky old pair of jeans, which I never washed because I thought work clothes could be dirty and smelly. One day a bunch of the factory women came up and told me to wash them; from their approach it became clear to me that they had been building up resentment and talking about it for some time.

gaijintendo

Veteran
People get used to the gradual deterioration in the own appearance and cleanliness and their increasing odour.

When I worked in a bike factory in Darlaston I had a manky old pair of jeans, which I never washed because I thought work clothes could be dirty and smelly. One day a bunch of the factory women came up and told me to wash them; from their approach it became clear to me that they had been building up resentment and talking about it for some time.

I suspect a fair proportion of the commuters here emit odours, and their colleagues are aware of them. Hmm.

Blue

Legendary Member
Yesterday this was. He got on the bus then sat down in front of me. Then i got the wiff! Cigarettes and chips.
..... As my great grandma used to say,"I was one of 13 children,but we were always clean and soap costs nothing"(i wanted to correct here and tell her it was "soap doesn't cost that much",but she'd have clipped me round the ear hole if i had:unsure:) Anyway,back to the question. If someone you know or you don't know smells of something nasty would you feel obliged to tell them so?
That reminded me of an incident during my childhood. My family lived in a small village that had a hill to one side. On that hill lived a couple who were real unwashed hillbilly types. The couple liked to do the pools but didn't like to go into the shop to deliver the coupon so they would bring it to my dad(who came from a small holding farm background and got on well with the couple) for delivery. Anyway, my mum took seriously ill and my maternal gran came to look after us. The door was knocked and my gran opened it to Mrs Hillbilly. My gran took one look at her, told her to wait and fetched her purse. Gran then deposited 2d in the lady's hand, told her soap was cheap and closed the door on her. I had to go out and found the lady standing with the 2d in her hand and a look of total puzzlement on her face -poor old lady!

Top Bottom