Someone on the bus sat in front of me smelt of fags and chip oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Some ailments do cause the body to emit certain scents. That smelly bloke on the bus may be fully aware of his stench and may be thoroughly embarrassed about it, yet unable to do anything about it. Rather than judge, i suggest thinking instead, and maybe even thanking your lucky stars that it's not you.

I caught a bus last year in Scotland and somewhere just outside Glasgow a quite unfit and overweight couple got on and sat in front of me - they both stank, they had long greasy grey hair and they smelled of dirty bodies and wood smoke so I guess they were living in fairly rough conditions. I couldn't move because the bus was full so it was a relief when they got off at some kind of crusty country festival about an hour later.

Some people live in filthy conditions; we have neighbours who seldom open their curtains and never open their windows. I've stepped inside their house and it absolutely stinks of cooking and fetid damp and mustiness. Our windows are always latched on vent, we must live in the best ventilated house in Britain.
I'm getting on that very bus for a return trip next Saturday. I'm checking for crusty country festivals en-route as soon as I put down this keyboard.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Some ailments do cause the body to emit certain scents. That smelly bloke on the bus may be fully aware of his stench and may be thoroughly embarrassed about it, yet unable to do anything about it. Rather than judge, i suggest thinking instead, and maybe even thanking your lucky stars that it's not you.
No i'm not having that. He also had greasy hair and his clothes looked totally unwashed. How can someone be so dirty but unable to do anything about it?

And what ailment causes a chip oil and ashtray scent? Other than aquaphobia, of course.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Fairly common around Plymouth, and most other places I'd assume (especially but not limited to the more deprived areas). A lady in Tesco the other week wreaked of chip fat.

Everyone's home smells differently; the inhabitants of which will probably take up that odour whether good, bad or neutral. I remember at school, a boy on my table smelled of babies (you know; soiled nappies, wet wipes etc). I asked him "have you got a baby brother or sister?". He said yes. He then said "Do you live on a farm?". I did. So I clearly stank of cow shite.

I don't think smokers or chip-fryers know that they smell. And also, they can still wash regularly but the smell of one's house often stays on one's clothes.

As far as saying anything to them; no I wouldn't, unless it was someone in the office whose odour was too unpleasant for me to work. I'd hope that someone would have a polite word with me if ever I stank (of BO for example).

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
How can someone be so dirty but unable to do anything about it?
I'm not judging, but you clearly have not met many people from deprived backgrounds. Loads of people live in what some of us would call squalour. That is normal to them, so they don't see it as a problem. A friend of a friend lives like this - he is unshaven, unwashed, clothes have more rips in them than material, nails are dirty and long etc etc. But he doesn't work in an office, nor does he have a significant other. So in fact, it is not a problem to him, that's his life. If someone were to say to him "If you turn up to this address looking and smelling like a male model, I'll give you a million pounds". He could easily do it. So, even with learning difficulties, he is easily able to "do something about it", but why should he?

I travelled on a bus years ago and was totally enthralled by the beautiful girl sitting in front of me.

Perfect skin, beautiful smile and gorgeous brunette hair, the whole epitome of an archetypal English Rose.

Sadly, the similarity did not end there though, as her hair was a seething mass of greenfly!

Guess she'd walked through a swarm of them and they'd got caught in whatever she'd dressed her hair with.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
No i'm not having that. He also had greasy hair and his clothes looked totally unwashed. How can someone be so dirty but unable to do anything about it?

How about he is in the pit of despair, the world looks dark and bleak, he can just about motivate himself to see the day out and maybe he doesn't really want to be here any more.

Stuff like that springs to my mind.

Top Bottom