Someone on the bus sat in front of me smelt of fags and chip oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I've never been sure what I think about badgers, in truth.
Some people love 'em, some people hate 'em but it's not a black and white issue actually.

A badger will smell awful depending on what Mele's just eaten.

U

User482

I'm a sensitive soul and, while I might well sympathise with somebody's plight that leads them to this point, I really hate having to smell it.
I regret the badger's untimely demise as I cycle past it's rotting corpse but I'd prefer not to smell it.
It's the only way you're going to overtake Hinault..

Some people live in filthy conditions; we have neighbours who seldom open their curtains and never open their windows. I've stepped inside their house and it absolutely stinks of cooking and fetid damp and mustiness. Our windows are always latched on vent, we must live in the best ventilated house in Britain.

Having worked as a gas service engineer for a while a couple of years back I agree that some people live in filthy conditions. I've been in houses where I'm glad I have a strong gag reflex.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've travelled back, via coach, with some clothes "double-bagged". Had them opened as a security check, they cut the knots. Then they wished they hadn't.

Sandra6

Veteran
Some people live in filthy conditions; we have neighbours who seldom open their curtains and never open their windows. I've stepped inside their house and it absolutely stinks of cooking and fetid damp and mustiness. Our windows are always latched on vent, we must live in the best ventilated house in Britain.

I'm not sure what keepng your curtains and windows closed has to do with the smell of your house?
We rarely open our curtains or windows, but my house is clean and fairly fragrant most of the time.

As for stinky people on buses, it seems to be a regular occurence for me to be stuck just behind someone who stinks of stale drink.
working in retail is a bit of an eye opener about personal hygiene habits, and not just the customers!
Currently at work my colleagues are trying to persuade me to "have a word" with the young apprentice over his body odour, "in a motherly way". I just can't bring myself to do it and just try not to stand too close to the young lad in question.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm not sure what keepng your curtains and windows closed has to do with the smell of your house?

Er... as I wrote, my neighbour's house stinks of cooking and fetid dampness. Plastic window frames are airtight and rooms don't have fireplaces so there is very little air movement and damp air from cooking and drying clothes, breathing, etc. builds up and makes everything damp, which increases the sensitivity of the human nose to malodours.

On hygiene, we have a temporary colleague in our Accounts department whose personal hygiene looks terrible; chaps in our office have all noticed that he uses the loo then walks out without washing his hands. Ugh.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Er... as I wrote, my neighbour's house stinks of cooking and fetid dampness. Plastic window frames are airtight and rooms don't have fireplaces so there is very little air movement and damp air from cooking and drying clothes, breathing, etc. builds up and makes everything damp, which increases the sensitivity of the human nose to malodours.

On hygiene, we have a temporary colleague in our Accounts department whose personal hygiene looks terrible; chaps in our office have all noticed that he uses the loo then walks out without washing his hands. Ugh.
Maybe he keeps his hands clean by not wiping.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Currently at work my colleagues are trying to persuade me to "have a word" with the young apprentice over his body odour, "in a motherly way". I just can't bring myself to do it and just try not to stand too close to the young lad in question.

Why should you have to do it? If they've got an issue with him, they need to speak to him not get someone else to sort out their problem. I work with someone that let's say, smells a bit now and again. I've got used to it and it doesn't bother me, but other people seem to think that my team should speak to them, or even worse the Personnel department people should have a meeting with them. Yet they won't deal with it themselves even though they are the ones complaining about it.

Sandra6

Veteran
Why should you have to do it? If they've got an issue with him, they need to speak to him not get someone else to sort out their problem. I work with someone that let's say, smells a bit now and again. I've got used to it and it doesn't bother me, but other people seem to think that my team should speak to them, or even worse the Personnel department people should have a meeting with them. Yet they won't deal with it themselves even though they are the ones complaining about it.
Because I'm the only "girl" and blokes don't do that stuff.
Or, more seriously, because they don't want to sound like they're being mean to him and I could be a tad more tactful.

Top Bottom