Somerset Levels - Late Summer CC Ride

Which of these Sundays would you find suitable for a Somerset CC ride?

• 20th September 2009

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 27th September 2009

• 4th October 2009

• 11th October 2009

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
Who remembers Sunday 17th May?

All set for a ride out into Somerset we were, and what happened? It didn’t so much rain, as a waterfall formed in the sky!

Well, I’ve been talking to Peanut and we think its probably time to perform the same rain dance again, and see if it’ll work twice. Judging from the summer so far it probably will, but that’s enough of the pessimism ..........

poll-closed-see-here

This is a link to the route (and thread) from May:

17th May 2009 aborted trip.

If you’d rather go somewhere else say so! Stations are good start and end points, and Bridgwater and Highbridge/Burnham are alternatives to Taunton.

One thing you can be sure of is that if Peanut &/or I are on the ride it won’t include any steep or long hills, and it won’t be particularly fast.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I might be interested ... but it would depend on what time the trains were and whether family things intervened.

peanut

Heres a map of the route

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=13575

mapview.php

johnnyh

Veteran
All sounds good, nice little spin that. I don't know that I have any "best date" yet due to footy commitments and not having received the seasons fixtures yet...

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
User76 said:
Could we do a later date, as the Cheddar Sportive is on the 20th of September, so we will all be busy doing that on that day.....won't we?????

Noted.

I did try to look at a map of that, but it didn't work. Must try again. Not that I'd stand much chance of keeping up.:tongue:

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
So to date:

Davidc
Peanut
Domino
Summerdays possibly
User76 if it's not 20th September
Johnnyh possibly

As said above I'll leave the date decision until Aug 23rd to give people who are away a chance to state preferences.

Any thoughts on routes, or is the ill fated May one OK? (Otherwise I need to get out surveying!)

Domino

Veteran
I'm ok driving to where ever in the Somerset area and going along with what anyone prefers. I think the meeting point was Highbridge last time. I cycled through there only last Saturday :whistle:

peanut

Map of the route here

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=13575

If you select 'show elevation data' it will show a profile of all the hills which aren't really as bad as it looks.

Click anywhere on the profile and it will show you where the corresponding place is on the main map route

The profile is cramped up because its 40 miles long so it looks hilly but isn't.

As we have a route map and directions seems like a lot of work to work up another route. ?

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
User76 said:
How about doing the Frome to Bideford ToB stage, etape stylee ;)

How mant weeks are we riding for !!!!!!!! xx(

I've just got a new bike so might just about manage 11-12 mph average. Not sure what route the ToB uses, but say 100 miles, a few stops - might do it in 12 hours with an easterly gale blowing ...:tongue: 35+ years ago I'd have done it in 8 but sadly those days are long gone.

Top Bottom