Somerset Levels - Late Summer CC Ride

Which of these Sundays would you find suitable for a Somerset CC ride?

• 20th September 2009

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 27th September 2009

• 4th October 2009

• 11th October 2009

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
trustysteed said:
i'll carry a horse under my arm but not one of those ridiculous miniature ones being discussed in the horse poo thread, it'll be a big old hairy-legged shire horse! :biggrin:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

But trustysteed, you haven't told me what colour the horse will be......I don't want an embarrassing situation to occur where I go up to another cyclist who just happnes to be freewheeling round the car park with a shire horse under his arm but has nothing to do with "our" ride, and say "Hi trustysteed, nice white horse you've got there" and for the bloke to say "But my name's Cyril, and who the f**k are you?":biggrin::biggrin:;);)

my horse will be carrying a copy of The Sunday Times under one leg to save you any embarrassment.

however, in the event that Cyril's horse has also just popped into the newsagent coincedentally, the code phrase 'you're a bit far from the shire' should suffice for identification purposes.

trustysteed said:
my horse will be carrying a copy of The Sunday Times under one leg to save you any embarrassment.

however, in the event that Cyril's horse has also just popped into the newsagent coincedentally, the code phrase 'you're a bit far from the shire' should suffice for identification purposes.

Excellent, sounds like a plan trustysteed;)

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
All things considered I'll leave you to 'avin the saddle on top of yer 'orse, and I'll stick to 'avin the saddle under my arse.

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
Rode the proposed route today. No real issues, only that the two steepest hills (down from West Monkton and Red Hill (20% down from Curry Rivel) are covered in gravel :biggrin:. May improve if we get a couple of weeks of this weather.

It was beautiful out there today in the sunshine, and the wind wasn't too bad either. Lets hope for the same on the 27th.

Suggest a couple of small changes. One at North Curry to take in the "North Curry Community Coffee Shop" in both directions. (They'll need telling if 10+ of us will be turning up for coffee and tea).

The other is around the end of the Quantocks on the way back into Taunton to avoid a steep uphill at the end of the ride.

I'll draw the changes up in Bikely and post the link, unless I hear howls of protest at extra tea and coffee stops and less hill climbing!

D

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
Davidc said:
Rode the proposed route today. No real issues, only that the two steepest hills (down from West Monkton and Red Hill (20% down from Curry Rivel) are covered in gravel :biggrin:. May improve if we get a couple of weeks of this weather.

It was beautiful out there today in the sunshine, and the wind wasn't too bad either. Lets hope for the same on the 27th.

Suggest a couple of small changes. One at North Curry to take in the "North Curry Community Coffee Shop" in both directions. (They'll need telling if 10+ of us will be turning up for coffee and tea).

The other is around the end of the Quantocks on the way back into Taunton to avoid a steep uphill at the end of the ride.

I'll draw the changes up in Bikely and post the link, unless I hear howls of protest at extra tea and coffee stops and less hill climbing!

D
Well done David, we'll send the broom wagon out in front:biggrin:

Good work Davidc. Looking forward to putting some faces to names.

peanut

well done David . Looks like you found the route.

The steep downhill section at Redhill is a little dangerous with the gravel. If its raining it is treacerous. I would suggest avoiding it altogether and simply returning from Langport the same route that you arrive by skirting the hill.

Hoping to still be able to join you all but it will depend on if I can arrange for some care cover for my Father.

Domino

Veteran
Glad to see the 27th is still on! Turns out I've now got to drive 225 miles to a friends 50th on 3rd/4th Oct in Lancashire and spend the following weekend working in Birmingham. The A39 is my southern boundary so far. Time to break through that.

On the down side my bottom bracket is clicking loudly. I'm going to take it to the LBS on Monday to see if they can fix it but if the bikes got to go in for more than a couple of days I'm going to delay repairs for crappier weather. Hopefully the click won't annoy you too much if I still have it when we go ;)

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
Davidc said:
OK Looks like its:

Sunday 27th September
Meet at Taunton railway station
9:30 for 10:00 start (finish should be by 2:30 pm assuming 10 mph average and 1/2 hour café stop)

See the maps and drawings on the May ride thread for location of the car park etc.

Unless the train times change I think that fits reasonably with the slow ones and fast ones from the north, and the fast ones from Exeter.

Last time I looked Sunday parking in that car park was still free.

No one's asked for a route change, so it'll be Peanut's May route (I'll send him a slightly better way back down to the station though)

I'll ty to get out and check the route sometime before 27/9, assuming the rain stops for long enough!

Perhaps this time we won't have an Old Testament style deluge to stop us.

The roll call so far looks to be:

Definite.

Davidc
Peanut
Maggot
Domino
Speck
Iainj837
Toshiba Boy
trustysteed

Possible.

summerdays
johhnyh

I had a word with the Driver but he can't do the 27th:biggrin:

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
^^^

Yes

Just hasn't been much to say about it.

If anyone's not sure about the meeting place or anything else please ask! The details are on the original May thread (link in 1st post).

The advance weather forecast is looking OK, so with a bit of luck we won't get washed out this time!!

Top Bottom