Somerset Levels - Late Summer CC Ride

Which of these Sundays would you find suitable for a Somerset CC ride?

• 20th September 2009

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 27th September 2009

• 4th October 2009

• 11th October 2009

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Still a yes.

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
Just copied this from the Met Office web site.

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

All three days look set to be dry across southwestern England. It will be cloudy at times, although some sunny intervals are also likely. Patchy mist and fog will form.
Updated: 1526 on Fri 25 Sep 2009

Amazing!

peanut

Davidc said:
Just copied this from the Met Office web site.

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

All three days look set to be dry across southwestern England. It will be cloudy at times, although some sunny intervals are also likely. Patchy mist and fog will form.
Updated: 1526 on Fri 25 Sep 2009

Amazing!

damn damn damn ! wet and windy I can deal with but warm, dry and wind-less I can't :blush:

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
peanut said:
damn damn damn ! wet and windy I can deal with but warm, dry and wind-less I can't :blush:

All being well about 12 of us will be doing a rain dance on Sunday morning. It worked in May, perhaps it'll work again :laugh:

I thought 9.30 for 10.00 also

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
I'd originally put 9:30 for 10 to fit in with the Sunday railway timetable, so hope it hasn't been altered and that still suits!

Look forward to seeing you in the North (Up Platform side) car park of Taunton Station tomorrow.

I've warned the Community Coffee Shop at North Curry to expect an invasion around 11 to half past. I didn't mention that it might happen again a few hours later as well.

The latest effort from the Met Office web site is:

Sunday:

Dry, but cloudy at times, although some sunny intervals are also likely. Patchy mist and fog will form. Light winds. Maximum temperature 20 °C.
Updated: 0343 on Sat 26 Sep 2009

Looking through the posts it looks like:

Definite.

Davidc
peanut
Maggot
Domino
Speck
Iainj837
Toshiba Boy
trustysteed
paddy01

Possible.

summerdays
johnnyh

peanut

Excellent 10am start is very civilised .

David I see you intend to have 2x cake stops at North Curry .

The only possible problem with choosing North Curry is that it is only 10 miles into the ride and it leaves a long 20+ mile second stretch to follow with a third 10mile stretch to follow that !.

Langport does have the advantage of being exactly half way Was there a particular reason for choosing North Curry ? over Langport

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
No, just a good place to stop for a drink! It comes after the admittedly not too serious hilly bits frpm Taunton to West Monkton as well. If we don't want to stop I can always ring them and tell them we're not coming, it's easier than the other way round.

Don't have a problem with Langport as well, around lunchtime.

(Sad fact of life, when younger I used to do 45 miles from home to the south coast in 2 1/2 hours, non stop, with a handlebar mounted water bottle. Now I amble along at 10 mph and stop for hot drinks. Getting Old :biggrin: )

peanut

it is very pretty there its true .

I was just a bit concerned that it might be a bit early in the ride and left about 27-30 miles to go. Its always hard to get going again after a cake stop:blush:

I'm sure North Curry will be fine. However I may carry on to langport as I have to get home early regretably.

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
This link is to a map of Taunton, and if it comes up as I set it it shows parking.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=Ta...:14|Taunton|Taunton, Somerset, England, TA1 1

If they don't show use the check box on the left.

There's also a car park next to the canal at Bathpool (coming from the motorway turn right at the 1st traffic lights and follow the brown signs to canalside car park). From there you can use the tow path - good tarmac surface suitable for any bike - into the centre of Taunton. That one isn't likely to appeal to runners.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=Ba...ormation&loc=GB:51.03042:-3.06636:16|Bathpool,

The circle is on the car park, access via Milton Hill and Dyer's Lane.

I've found references to the race, but I can't find any on line map of where this race is going, starts, times, or anything else. Do you have any details?

(If IE8 goes on behaving as it has while composing this I'm installing Firefox)

Top Bottom