Somerset Levels - Late Summer CC Ride

Which of these Sundays would you find suitable for a Somerset CC ride?

• 20th September 2009

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 27th September 2009

• 4th October 2009

• 11th October 2009

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paddy01

Well, I'll knock something up and see what interest we get.

As yes, Ottery is definately on the list of way points and would make a top spot for a brew & bun.

Paddy, count me in mate, I'll even cook you a pizza, with no toppings, no tomato, no meat....ahhh, that's right, cheese on toast:biggrin:

If we could arrange for a dead cow or two, Trustysteed may even join us again;)

Toshiba Boy said:
Paddy, count me in mate, I'll even cook you a pizza, with no toppings, no tomato, no meat....ahhh, that's right, cheese on toast:biggrin:

If we could arrange for a dead cow or two, Trustysteed may even join us again;)

don't forget the dead horse as well, it was asking, neigh (boom boom) begging to be eaten.

how about a horse on toast? i'll bring my blowtorch... ;)

Domino

Veteran
I'd be up for a East Devon ride! It's not too far from where I am. I insist you lot tackle Cheddar Gorge one day though (uphill that is!)

p.s. I've got next week off, lots of cycling, weather permitting. Woohooo! (Gotta work next Saturday though, every silver lining has a cloud!).

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
Domino said:
I'd be up for a East Devon ride! It's not too far from where I am. I insist you lot tackle Cheddar Gorge one day though (uphill that is!)

p.s. I've got next week off, lots of cycling, weather permitting. Woohooo! (Gotta work next Saturday though, every silver lining has a cloud!).

Even when I've fitted my 22 chainring I'd be walking!

Domino

Veteran
Davidc said:
Even when I've fitted my 22 chainring I'd be walking!

Ok, ok, downhill then. (Phew nearly rumbled then).

To be honest I've only done it twice and I only live 4 miles away. It's not so bad after the first 1/3. The bottom bit just after the tourists is the worst. But then it goes on for quite a long time in a steady climb.

Domino

Veteran
Davidc said:
I went down it many many years ago, it scared me witless!

You probably should not try the Westbury-Sub-Mendip hill then. I've never had the guts to just let the bike go down there. I got up to about 40 once and bottled it. Too many bends in the road. I think you could get 60+ mph no worries but you'd be a splat if anything came the other way.

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
The main road down off the mendips into Shepton Mallet is straighter and the surface used to be tolerable. I got up to 40 down there, and then when I tried thought I'd never stop!

Cheddar Gorge is bendy, steep, full of cars and pedestrians, and hasn't improved any since I cycled it, but if you insist!

Cheddar George

oober member
Instead of turning left towards Shepton Mallet you can carry straight on and past the Hunters Lodge pub for frighteningly fast descent into Wells (poor road surface, tight bend etc). At high speed my cables start slapping the aluminium frame making it sound like the bike is about to fall to bits ...... it all adds to the excitement.

peanut

Domino said:
You probably should not try the Westbury-Sub-Mendip hill then. I've never had the guts to just let the bike go down there. I got up to about 40 once and bottled it. Too many bends in the road. I think you could get 60+ mph no worries but you'd be a splat if anything came the other way.

how does it compare to Porlock Hill ?

My front rim got red hot brakes failed and my tub rolled off the rim at 25mph+ on Porlock.:blush:

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
I rode up Porlock once. I was 19 years old at the time and needed a new chain afterwards.

Same trip I rode down Countesbury (into Lynmouth). Similar problem to peanut on Porlock. Stench of burning rubber from the brakes, which weren't working properly, and the front rim was so hot it melted the edges of the tyre so it welded itself on. The back one was beter but also needed new brake blocks and tyre.

Expensive day's riding and good business for a shop in Barnstaple the next day.

Edit: Don't even think about suggesting a trip along that bit of the A39 for a future ride!

Top Bottom