Somerset levels ride

best sundays for you

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

peanut

For some reason my fone didn't ring with your text Domino ? its a spare fone so the settings might be up the kiabosh.

Hope you had a good evening anyway :tongue:

Yes I kinda like the idea of a weekly spontaneous ride which anyone can join if they are free.

What might be fairest is if I check the location of everyone interested and post a series of rides for say 12 weeks starting at different locations on the levels ?:becool:

I like the idea of that. i'll work on some routes over the next few days . If anyone has some suggestions feel free to post them

Might be best if I start another thread so it will be easier to follow and perhaps request a Mod make the weekly ride routes a sticky . What does everyone think ?

Could you all let me have your rough locations ie nearest town or village

Domino

Veteran
Dunno why my text didn't get through. I've just tried to send a quick test, if you get it let me know in here or whatever.

Anyway, I like the sound of that idea for the regular ride. I'm in Westbury-Sub_Mendip, near Wells but don't mind driving out to a starting point.

OP
OP
P

peanut

thanks guys keep em coming and we can plot you on a googlemap .
I apologise in advance if I forget your names or CC ID's or locations etc cos I have got an appalling short term memory :hello: ahem ....what was I doing ?... :biggrin:

OP
OP
P

peanut

User76 said:
Hi Peanut, could you mark me down as Cheddar?

Sounds like you had the weather I had in the early hours, while camping in Exeter:ohmy: Good decision to postpone.

gottcha;)

Camping eh! takes me back to my scouting days ...twists and dampers ;) and everything wet :laugh:

I have a list of 17 merry CC'ers so far from Somerset I bet there are a few more from further afield that would probably join us.

I'll get the OS out tomorrow and start tracking down some good loops .

Davidc

Guru
And I'm in Taunton.

vorsprung

Veteran
Uffculme, Devon

btw I had a lot of fun this weekend on the audax "across Wales, twice" ride. As you can imagine the weather made it more interesting.

simonali

Guru
Speck said:
Hi Peanut,
Coleford, Somerset

Pronounced Coeford. Peeps I know from there don't seem to say it with an L in!

Is the ride on the 31st still happening? I'm up for it barring another windy day.

OP
OP
P

peanut

thanks
doesn't anyone live somewhere which I can spell and pronounce :angry:?

I think the idea now is that I am going to list some informal Sunday rides around the Somerset Levels taking into consideration where everyone lives .

If you want to turn up and ride just turn up on the day. Nothing organised as it takes too much work.

Rides start at 9.30am sharp if you miss the start you'll have to either catch up or join the ride at the next convenient point.

Most of the rides will be pretty flat and around 25-35 miles so it hopefully doesn't exclude anybody but there are plenty of opportunities around the loops to branch off and have a go at some hills like Red hill 20%:angry:

Any suggestions on a stamp please to......:biggrin:

OP
OP
P

peanut

SUNDAY RIDE 24th May 09

ok sorry its so late but things have been a bit hectic this week .
My route for this Sunday is as follows. Map to follow.

Meet at Langport Cycle Centre car park which is right at the end of the village high street the other side of the bridge heading towards Curry Rivel.
Plenty of safe parking and the cycle shop is open. Couple of good cafes in the village.

Leave Langport cycle centre turn left onto the A378 head towards Curry Rivel. Two slight hills.
Turn right before CR (just after the 30mph speed sign,) onto Currywoods Way. (Very tiny lane entrance. )
2nd left Dyers Rd 1 mile decend Red hill 1:20 wheee:ohmy:
TJ turn left through Oath,at Stathe, TL Stoke St Gregory , meare green, In North Curry centre TR to West Lyng
Turn right onto A364 to Burrowbridge .
Leave A364 onto canal road follow canal to Pumping station.
Return through Burrowbridge continue on canal road through Stathe Oath Lock Wick
Turn left onto A378 back into Langport follow high street to far end of town and carrot cake and tea.:biggrin:

I will be leaving the cycle shop /wetland museum car park at 9.30am Sunday 24th may. Anyone that wishes to join me on a leisurely flatish ride round the levels and along the canal (tarmac road) is very welcome to join me . Just turn up .

heres the link to the googlemap of this Sundays ride. It is about 25 miles as far as I can tell .
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie...d=107132474598681010155.00046a5f33dbcef6f3539

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
simonali said:
Pronounced Coeford. Peeps I know from there don't seem to say it with an L in!

Is the ride on the 31st still happening? I'm up for it barring another windy day.

Some of them say Coeforrrrrd

just bin oop North ta top me accent oop:biggrin:

Top Bottom