Somerset levels ride

best sundays for you

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peanut

Ok CC route for the 17th May is from Taunton Station via Kingston St Mary to Langport return. Approx 30 ish miles on a flat scenic ride through the beautiful Somerset Levels.

The route is basically the Audax route Daves Diddy Doddle but has been slightly modifed it to make it shorter and start at Taunton Station for those that wish to travel by train. Ample parking in the station car park (hopefully free on a Sunday.)

Taunton Station
turn right out of car park A358
Straight over at first junction sp Kingston St Mary
Just before K st M turn right
at Mill cross
Sign P Cheddon Fitzpaine
S O @ stag X roads
Through Upper Cheddon
LEFT @ triangle T Junction RIGHT
LEFT next junction RIGHT downhill
LEFT @ triangle
2nd LEFT (SOver ) on bend
T Junction RIGHT
SO staggered X roads A38
SO mini RBout thru Creech St Michael
Sharp RH bend
LEFT signed HAM
Next LEFT signed HAM
Thru KNAPP
LEFT sp North Curry
S O X roads to T in village
LEFT sign Stoke St Gregory
LEFT ( SO ) sign STATHE
T Junction RIGHT sign OATHE
LEFT @ grass triangle sign WICK
LEFT sign LANGPORT
Parrot Coffee house in 2nd car park
reverse is a slightly different route for half of the return leg I'll post it later when I've typed it up.
somersetCCride17thMay.jpg

showthread.php

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
Good morning Nick, sorry to hear you missed the Audax.

Going up to The Lakes 1st week in May, so 17th would suit me.

OP
OP
P

peanut

excellent:biggrin:

glad to hear you can make it speck. Add some respectability to the enterprise :bravo:
We had better include some 'off road' bits for johhny :becool::biggrin:

glad you can make it David . Now we had better see if we can interest some of the previous 'CC levellers'

Anyone have any views or suggestions on route and distance ?

OP
OP
P

peanut

Baggy said:
:biggrin: Chuffy and I don't have a Sunday free until the last week in May now...

What it is to have friends eh!:biggrin::sad::sad: my diary is completely empty sob ....

maybe we should run two rides :tongue::biggrin::biggrin:

Davidc

Guru
The route you've suggested suits me well, living in Taunton - might even ride to B Lydiard and back!

If the date slips so that Chuffy & Baggy can make it I can do most Sundays from 14th June onwards until July.

Domino

Veteran
I'd like to go on this :becool:. I was a bit worried about keeping up on group rides, 40+ miles rides and rides with more experienced riders as I've never group ridden before. I've been increasing the mileage 5 miles a week and managed my longest ever today, a 60 miler so I think it's about time I took the plunge! I want to build up to a 100 miler by the end of summer.

Jeesh I'm knackered!

OP
OP
P

peanut

Glad to have you aboard Domino.
I'm always wary of those that say they are not strong riders cos they usually ride me into the ground and ride off into the distance lol:biggrin: If you can ride 60 miles you will be fine on our little jolly trust me.

Everyone this is not intended to be a fast club run or training ride or even an Audax its just a nice social ride through some beautiful scenery and a chance to meet up with and chat to some fellow CC's .

looks like we might be able to do two rides one on the 17th May and another on the 31st so that Chuffy and Baggy can join us.

Any more for a brilliant ride through some of the best scenery in Somerset ?

so far then for the 17th May we have
moi:biggrin:
Domino
Speck
Johhnyh
Davidc
User76 ?

any more ?

Domino

Veteran
peanut said:
Glad to have you aboard Domino.
I'm always wary of those that say they are not strong riders cos they usually ride me into the ground and ride off into the distance lol:biggrin: If you can ride 60 miles you will be fine on our little jolly trust me.

Sounds great to me. As long as I can keep up that's all I'm bothered about. If I could go faster I'll slow down, if I can't keep up I'll suffer a bit and learn something. In my youth I'd have been more about competition probably, but you grow up and at 43 it's the taking part I'm most interested in. I only started cycling last year, 30th April 2008 almost my cycling anniversary!! :biggrin:

GrahamG

Guru
Possibly, although distance to the start might be a tricky one. If anyone else fancies it from Bristol then I have a new car rack with space for four bikes!

OP
OP
P

peanut

Domino said:
Sounds great to me. As long as I can keep up that's all I'm bothered about. If I could go faster I'll slow down, if I can't keep up I'll suffer a bit and learn something. In my youth I'd have been more about competition probably, but you grow up and at 43 it's the taking part I'm most interested in. I only started cycling last year, 30th April 2008 almost my cycling anniversary!! :smile:
You'll keep up just fine Domino .I'm the one that should be worried ....I weigh near 18 stones :biggrin: so how hard can it be to keep up with me ?;):biggrin:

Graham thats a fantastic offer should save quite a bit sharing costs. It seems a long way but depending on where you are in Bristol the M5 bit is only about 20 minutes or less. I used to commute from nr Yeovil to St Pauls every day and I used to do that in rush hour traffic comfortably under the hour and Bishops Lydiard is about 20 miles less journey time.

I am working a 2 till 10 on that date but if we meet up early enough, and I can be back in Glastonbury by 12.00 or @ a push 12.30 I am up for it sounds like a good route.
Graham if I am able to go would you pick me up @ junction 23 bridgwater. pm me qand we can arrange something.
I would like to go on this ride, as I missed the last one

Iain

Top Bottom