Somerset levels ride

best sundays for you

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vorsprung

Veteran
I can't do the 17th as that weekend is the Bryan Chapman audax.

I'd like to meet you all though, I live in Uffculme about an hours ride from Bishops Lydeard

OP
OP
P

peanut

Sorry to hear you can't make it vorsprung
Why not come along on the next Somerset levels CC ride on the 31st May ? :biggrin:

OP
OP
P

peanut

User76 said:
Take some pics and get them posted though. Especially if you decide to completely change every component on your bike the night before like last time:biggrin:
No chance ...:biggrin: I learnt my lesson last time thanks . By the time the ride ended my gear cables had stretched and my gears were jumping all over the place :sad: Well thats my excuse anyway.

Hope to see ya on the 31st Maggot

Davidc

Guru
The W Somerset railway might agree to using their car park if asked. (Unless they have one of their galas or are expecting to be busy that day).

OP
OP
P

peanut

Davidc said:
The W Somerset railway might agree to using their car park if asked. (Unless they have one of their galas or are expecting to be busy that day).
thats a good idea . Do you know Lydiard well ? I've only been once I think. Isn't there a big dirt carpark on the main drag where all the coaches and horse boxes park or am I thinking of somewhere else?

Davidc

Guru
peanut said:
thats a good idea . Do you know Lydiard well ? I've only been once I think. Isn't there a big dirt carpark on the main drag where all the coaches and horse boxes park or am I thinking of somewhere else?

No - I occasionally go past by car on the A358 but that bypasses it.

When I've been there it's been by bike (who needs a car park?) or to see people at home. I'll see if I can get over there for a look round. I have been to the WSR and their car park is sizeable. Their phone number is 01643 704996 and email addresses are at http://www.west-somerset-railway.co.uk/contact_us.html

Davidc

Guru
Another thought - the WSR have a cafe for a cup of tea when we get back!

vorsprung

Veteran
peanut said:
Sorry to hear you can't make it vorsprung
Why not come along on the next Somerset levels CC ride on the 31st May ? :tongue:

Sorry again, that's the Kernow and SW audax weekend

The closest this audax gets to Bishops Lydeard is a control at Taunton Deane M way services, which probably will happen approx 3pm Sunday in my case. I would suggest following us round for a bit but the route goes Crowkerne then over the hills to the south coast after this so probably not advisable.

The following weekend is the Exmouth Exodus ride.
The weekend after that I am doing the Irish Mail audax in Wales

Then I don't have anything else booked for the rest of the summer

Dustman Dave is doing another set of rides from West Buckland mid July

OP
OP
P

peanut

thanks David but I managed to drop by on my way to Bagborough today and had a scout around.
There is only one car park that I could see and that is the village hall car park opposite the garage and pharmacy.
The pharmacy has one but its likely to be private .

I spoke to the people using the hall and the lady responsible said it would be fine for us to use the village hall car park on Sunday morning. We'll have to share with church goers on a first come first served basis but there are plenty of spaces.
I''l post a picture of it later.

Directions. (From Taunton ) leave Taunton on the A358 heading for Minehead ,Williton. Take the first turning signed Bishops Lydiard . Head into the village and at the T junction with pup opposite turn right. Head up the high street just past the garage on the left look out for the Village Hall opposite the Pharmacy and Doctors surgery. Turn right into the car poark ...simples....;)

EDIT : whoa hold everything ... just seen David's comment about the WSR having a tea shop Mmmmmm I think that might swing it in favour of the WSR . I'll try and ring them tomorrow and sound them out .Thanks for the contact details David.

OP
OP
P

peanut

How does everyone feel about the 40 mile distance ?
Would anyone prefer it if we shorten it to 35 or even 30 miles ? A number of us are expressing a little concern at the distance

I think I can manage 40 miles, just but I'd be just as happy with a 30 mile ride after all its a social ride not a race. :smile: I rather have a lesurely ride with a chance of a chat than constantly with my head down like a training run.

If we ride 40 miles we will need to average 10 mph for 4 hours (including the odd stop and maybe p*%$£"e and possibly headwind.)
Add an hour to that for 2x cafe breaks 5 hours.

To complete 40 miles in 3 hours we will need to ride at an average no less than 13.3 mph On the last ride it took us 3 hours to cover 30 miles not including an hour for T stops

Tell me what distance you would prefer and I'll revise the route. Maybe we could start nearer Taunton which would be easier for parking and access.

Top Bottom