Somerset levels ride

best sundays for you

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
If you want to knock off some miles and move to parking in Taunton we could use the car park by the up side of the railway station. It's a council car park, and the last time I used it on a Sunday (OK that was last year) it was free.

We could re-join your route by riding up Kingston Road to Kingston St Mary, which isn't too steep - and presumably a similar cut through on the way back.

Again there's a cafe at the station on the main up platform, but I don't know if it's open on Sundays or what their response to a load of thirsty cyclists would be! There are plenty of other options in Taunton.

OP
OP
P

peanut

Davidc said:
Just checked and that car park (Kilkenny Road) is still free on Sundays.

Thats an excellent suggestion David. It will save everyone a lot of hassle trying to find their way through Taunton to Bishops Lydiard. It will also give some the opportunity of bringing their bike by train straight to the meet .

I propose meeting at Taunton station car park and a reduced distance is there anyone that would still prefer the longer distance from Bishops Lydiard ?
David how easy is it to pick up the route from the station ?

Davidc

Guru
I suggest we connect to it at Kingston St Mary, at least on the way out. Its out of the car park, through one easy junction and then up a fairly gentle hill to K St M on a minor road.

Not sure what route you're planning to use on the way back, but the station's easy to reach from almost any road around Taunton.

OP
OP
P

peanut

yes agree thats the best route. I pass through there most days it should be quiet Sundays.
Heres a map of the proposed route which should be about 30 miles .

The return has a slight detour out of Langport to Curry Rivel but then follows the same route back to Taunton Station.Its all flat as a pancake (famous last words) except for one short steep downhill bit outside Langport.

Unless there is any objections this will now be our new route for Sunday 17th may meet up 9am ready for off 9.30 sharp. First stop Langport Cafe (half way) then hopefully somewhere near the station on our return .
somersetCCride17thMay.jpg

Domino

Veteran
That looks good to me peanut. A quick drive down from the Mendips for me. I hope the weather holds out for next weekend!

OP
OP
P

peanut

Domino said:
That looks good to me peanut. A quick drive down from the Mendips for me. I hope the weather holds out for next weekend!

thats great. It should be an easier meet location for most of us .
I hope the others can still make it

I (and possibly Ms RT) may or may not be there, I don't know yet. Expect us if you see us.

OP
OP
P

peanut

Iain you are very welcome to meet us at Langport Parrot cafe but I have no idea what time we will arrive there .
If we leave Taunton at 9.30am and keep a steady 10mph av pace without stopping we should reach Langport about 11.30 but there are lots of variables.
How far are you from Langport ?

Davidc

Guru
Map showing the car park

Despite the arrows you can enter it from Cheddon Road (the brown one, which is itself one waytop right to bottom left) or from Kingston Road (the brown one running north south).

Just make sure you're the correct side of the station as there's a car park on the other side as well!

The station is quite well signposted. If you're heading in from the M5 junction 25/ A358 from the south follow the Minehead A358 signs. You'll end up on the green road on the map.

Top Bottom