Somerset levels ride

best sundays for you

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
Good call - it had got lighter but back to heavy again now.

Like Iain the next time I'm around on a Sunday is in June if anyone fancies a leisurely ride.

Thanks to Peanut for setting this one up - the weather can always screw up any outdoor activity, the uncontrolable factor!

Davidc

Guru
I hate the English weather

40 minutes later.....

Blue sky

Sunshine

No rain

The ground is a bit wet, but there are now dry bits

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :biggrin:

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
Mrs Speck rang me as I was dropping down into Wells to pick Iainj837 up to say Le Tour de Cider was off. It really lashed it down coming back, just as well really. Shame really Peanut as you have put some time into it.

No worries though, apart from getting my bike wet :cry:so I brought it into the Utility room to dry out.

Just going to scrape the Assos bum cream off:blush:

OP
OP
P

peanut

its lovely here in Merriott now as well:sad: unbelievable.
It was a good call I think at the time but just bad luck.
At least it looks like we will all get a ride in today .

Maybe we will be lucky the next time.

I have been thinking of doing a levels ride regularly throughout the summer. There is some really great routes around the levels including along the Bridgewater to langport canal.

I'll probably post when and where and those that are free can join me for a Sunday ride so nothing too organised , just turn up if you feel like it on the day .
How does this sound ?

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
Mrs Speck and myself did The Strawberry line last week from Yatton to Axbridge

Davidc

Guru
Speck said:
Mrs Speck and myself did The Strawberry line last week from Yatton to Axbridge

Mrs DC and I did that a couple of weeks ago. (Mrs DC won't ride on roads!) Only wish the councils would make the barriers wide enough for handlebars though. Very pleasant ride, surface acceptable, and it's much easier going through the Mendips than over them.

The canal between Bridgewater and Taunton (also NCN 3 on roads if avoiding the unmade bits) is also a pleasant ride. Need a helmet for the bridges and wide tyres for the bits with poor surfaces though.

OP
OP
P

peanut

Iainj837 said:
That sounds good Nick, I was thinking about the Quntocks
used to ride over the quantocks a lot with the Wellington Wheelers club but can't climb a driveway slope now I'm afraid so I'll have to pass.:becool:

OP
OP
P

peanut

Davidc said:
The canal between Bridgewater and Taunton (also NCN 3 on roads if avoiding the unmade bits) is also a pleasant ride. Need a helmet for the bridges and wide tyres for the bits with poor surfaces though.

I used to cycle from South Petherton through Aller Burrowbridge to Bridgwater then back along the canal to Langport . There must be a split somewhere on route. I used to do it on a roadbike so maybe the Taunton canal path is a bit rougher.
Co-incidentally it passes my office at priory Way and I haven't even walked along the canal there yet and I've worked there for a year:blush:

Domino

Veteran
Sorry I couldn't make it. The weather here has been awful. When it does occasionally stop raining the wind is awful. Me and the missus usually like to find a nice walk on a Sunday, even had to cancel that. I should be free just about any weekend there's another trip out. Heck I'd be interested in making it a regular weekly trip. Maybe to build up to that magic 100 mile mark.

Also after seeing the forecast I had a few to drink last night so I wasn't in the best shape this morning :becool:

Domino

Veteran
peanut said:
its lovely here in Merriott now as well:sad: unbelievable.
It was a good call I think at the time but just bad luck.
At least it looks like we will all get a ride in today .

Maybe we will be lucky the next time.

I have been thinking of doing a levels ride regularly throughout the summer. There is some really great routes around the levels including along the Bridgewater to langport canal.

I'll probably post when and where and those that are free can join me for a Sunday ride so nothing too organised , just turn up if you feel like it on the day .
How does this sound ?

That sounds good to me. Hope you got my text in time.

Top Bottom