something a bit different

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

loopybike

Veteran
ok, I'm new to this forum, but I'd like some feedback

A while ago I had an idea for a different method of making a bike frame. I am a TIG welder by trade, so the engineering wasn't a problem, just finding the time!

so here is a mock-up with wheels and saddle just placed on the frame. For the actual bike I am using Espresso wheels in silver and a Sturney Archer 2 speed, coaster brake rear hub.

I fully understand that this is in no way a performance bike, due to the weight. But it is built from 316 stainless steel, so when i get to polish it, it will SHINE and keep on shining!

Oh and I have a Brookes saddle and rosewood/beech handle bar to go on it.

IMAG0495_zps49a28309.jpg

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
IMAG0590_zps174afd0c.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Nice & certain to get noticed.
However too many joints, over 70. Each joint is a potential failure point. I'd say theres very little lateral stability in the design though

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Resisting twisting is my main concern ( and weight ) so I have started welding in-fill pieces between the circles. You can see them in the front few rows. Luckily I have access to cnc sheet and tube lasers, otherwise this would take way too long! These pieces have made a massive difference to the strength, and I think it looks better, so I will continue with them for the whole bike.

Thanks for your comments.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Brilliant!
A pity you had to put the top tube and down tube on, rather than just relying on the circles - for strength, I guess?

How does it handle?

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
and it rides REALLY smooth.

frontwheel_zps00573b23.jpg

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
so far done about 200 miles on roads and gravel cycle paths. no issues other than the bottom bracket working loose and creaking after the first 5 miles. I splashed out £5 on the right tool to tighten it properly! Now it rides smoothly and very quietly. It weighs in at 16kg, and only has 2 gears, so uphills are fun! :smile:

Top Bottom