something a bit different

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Brilliant job completed in the true free spirit of a cyclist.

As regards selling it, like selling anything it will need to be marketed.

I can understand your reluctance to use ebay - I do not use it - but it is probably the best way to reach the highest number of prospective buyers.

Alternatively, I believe there is an internet retailer of high end nearly new bikes.

Yours doesn't fit into that category directly, but it passes the well-made and unusual test.

Alternatively, a bike shop might be prepared to put it in the window with a price on it to gauge interest.

I would look for a shop in an affluent area that sells higher end bikes.

brand

so far done about 200 miles on roads and gravel cycle paths. no issues other than the bottom bracket working loose and creaking after the first 5 miles. I splashed out £5 on the right tool to tighten it properly! Now it rides smoothly and very quietly. It weighs in at 16kg, and only has 2 gears, so uphills are fun! :smile:
I have 4 bikes but no idea what a reasonable weight should be. To me 16kgs does not sound unreasonable. It may of course be reasonable compared to mine as I always have 2 panniers on at least 1kg battery a back up light etc etc. Oh and anything I find, including litter (there is no McDonald within 12 miles yet I still find McDonald wrappers by the side of the road)

Last edited:

brand

A sale or return to bike shops? Although most bike shops seem to have very little spare room. Advertising it as very easily identified so unlikely to be nicked. Easy to hang on the wall! Will hold lots of water bottles.

Last edited:

brand

Does it have to be 2 gears? That will reduce demand significantly (my opinion). I would definitely go for hub gears but a Shimano Alfine 11 will help with the extra weight?

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Well, in the end I couldn't bring myself to sell the "Loopy Bike".
So instead it now resides on the wall in the workshop where I work ( www.metalcraftltd.com )
Makes me smile when customers walk in, look up, point and praise the bike, all the time ignoring some of the most beautifully crafted cars in the world!

My next project has been delayed. I've been sidetracked with a VW Camper restoration, making a range of aluminium bow ties ( !! ) and aluminium handbags ( !!!! )

Watch this space though, I'm not sure how long I'll last till the need to build another bike takes over! .....

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
:wub:
That is completely ridiculous.
It's the daftest frame I've ever seen, hopelessly over-engineered.
I want one :biggrin:

ChrisEyles

Guru
Glad this thread just got bumped so I got a chance to see the bike :smile:

Well done indeed - fantastic idea and execution! Definitely one of the most attractive original designs I've seen.

U

User42423

well, it's finished now :smile:

P1010206_zps499e2cdf.jpg
Definitely a talking point piece. Would look good on display.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom