Something cycle related (indicators) on tonight's Dragon's Den.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In the many years of commuting cycling through London, I can count on one hand the amount of cyclists that I have seen using indicator lights. They are simply crap. Certainly not an alternative to the arm/hand signals that are universally recognised.

ok, your arm may not be seen as well at night, but that's no excuse not to still use arm signals if you have lights as they show in their video.

They won't make any money from these lights and I wish people would stop reinventing the same, tired, useless idea.

classic33

Leg End Member
Cat's have made so many sacrifices for road safety.
He never actually ran the cat over though. The cat was away down the hillside
A647.jpg

And there was me thinking (no TV, so missed the prog) that it was a truly innovative and revolutionary idea - that BMWs would, in addition to having indictors fitted, would have a switch to activate them. Ah well :sad:
Yes, indicators for cars would be a good idea. They all had them when I learnt to drive, but not so much these days.

(BMW are bad, but not compared to left turning HGVs in the right lane, that can't be arsed indicating)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Is it https://www.cycl.co.uk/ ? Handlebars makes mounting and using simple, but won't your body obscure it for a lot of people behind you?

The generic Chinese ebike on that website is an eye-watering £1,399.

Similar ebikes are widely available for less than £500 online and cost about £150 from the factory.

Everyone has to make a living, but there's a difference between 'profit' and 'profiteering'.

The bikes are also garbage, the ebike equivalent of the BSO, only less reliable.

https://www.cycl.co.uk/collections/shop/products/e-bit-h

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I didnae know that ludicrous progamme was still on the telly;
I think what Britain needs more than anything these days is a programme about people who only help others when there's something in it for them.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
How many drivers are going to be looking at your handle bars to see if you're turning? Maybe the should develop a helmet with a flashing red triangle in the back of it and some indicators as well ... oh, wait, hang on:

Guy on my commute has one (all-the-gear most-expensive-one-of-everything type) - makes me laugh every time I see it. :laugh:

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Oh yeah - we could all cycle around looking like something out of Tron! :laugh:

I think bicycle indicators are a classic case of a solution looking for a problem, and if they were that good, they'd have gone viral the first time they were invented. :rolleyes:

keithmac

Guru
I fitted indicators to my bike when I was 9, but they were proper ones front and back (used two door bell push buttons to activate them).

They weren't the best but infinitely better than the handlebar crap!, if only Dragons Den was around 30 years ago I'd be a millionaire!.

Unless they improve over the present crop of bike indicators, they will be useless

I used to follow a guy with indicators, it was a unit about a foot wide with a central red light and an indicator either side

Something like this:

bicygnals3.png

The problem was that neither the central light of the set, nor the indicators were particularly bright and when he did use them, it took a while to realise what they were

That to me is the biggest concern, drivers will expect a hand signal, and by the time that they have figured out that it is a bike with indicators, and they are signalling a turn, it takes all too long, and compromises the cyclist's safety

The other concern is that some petrolhead is going to decide that they are worthwhile ad start a campaingn for them to be compulsory

Top Bottom