Songs that make you blub/cry.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Another one that gets me is Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks.
MrsD just cannot listen to it....it upsets her too much.
It has no connotations. We heard it first when on holiday in Cornwall about 1973. Its just a very moving song.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Clint Eastwood had some uncharacteristically tender moments with his girlfriend to that song in his otherwise emotionally brutal film 'Play Misty for me'.

It really got to me at the time because when I watched the film I had just found out that the girl of my dreams had got back with her ex and was pregnant...

Another one that gets me is Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks.
MrsD just cannot listen to it....it upsets her too much.
It has no connotations. We heard it first when on holiday in Cornwall about 1973. Its just a very moving song.
As i remember a big summer hit about suicide.
Let no-one slag off 70s music as predictable.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Probably the last contribution from me...

The energy and foolish risk-taking of (relative!) youth, paying the price, pain, depression, the support of true friends, hope for redemption, struggle, perseverance, BIKES, and... unadulterated joy! I give you ... Rudimental: Waiting All Night.

Tenkaykev

Guru
As i remember a big summer hit about suicide.
Let no-one slag off 70s music as predictable.
" Don't Fear the Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult was another.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
The first four because of their association with a friend who took her own life at a young age; something I always regret not doing more to try and prevent (although we were somewhat estranged at that point and I had no idea of her intentions)..

1. Because she got me into BOC and they remain one of my favourite producers. I love this track and it always reminds me of her; its beautifully warm, peaceful, nostalgic and wistful nature always bringing me to a sombre and often tearful moment of reflection when I hear it:

2. She was really into Oasis when we were teenagers too and this always reminds me of her. Not a massive fan myself but it evokes a huge wave of nostalgia whenever I hear it.. for how things were, for how they could have been and the hope we had back then. I happened to be at a festival a couple of years ago when one of the brothers was choppered in for a surprise set and played this - I sat on the grass alone and cried; a moment of much-welcome catharstis.

3. Radiohead remain one of my favourite bands and The Bends was one of our social group's staples growing up. This is another album that evokes powerful memories in me; this final track in particular. I listened to it in its entirity recently for the first time in maybe 20yrs.. still couldn't make my way through it all without breaking down..

4. Played at her funeral; can't listen to it any more at all tbh :sad:

Finally, a beautiful, powerful and nostalgia-evoking piece I've always loved and was played at my father's funeral. Again the strongest emotion it creates in me is of regret as we never really got on and it saddens me to think of how I could have done more to improve our relationship while he was alive. By the time I'd become emotionally-mature enough to realise this he was already firmly in the grip of dementia and I never made things right with him :sad:

Time for a bloody large whisky after unexpectedly dredging all that up on an unsuspecting Tuesday afternoon!

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Red Dirt Girl. Sad and poignant song.

Classical music fans, listen to Beim Schlafengehen by Strauss, one of four last songs he's thought to have written in anticipation of his death. Curry Takeoneaway sings it well but the version I prefer is by Gundula Janowitz. Have a handkerchief handy.

View: https://youtu.be/TuSJJ4lHIQM

Last edited:
Top Bottom