Sore Feet - pedalling technique related?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
Just recently I have started to get sore feet on my bike rides, on the tops of both feet on the insides just before the big toe. It visibly goes and stays red, but does not bruise, and is tender to the touch.

I am using the same pedals, shoes and position on the bike. They are SPD pedals/cleats/shoes. The only real difference is I have been increasing speed a bit on my short rides.

I think I may have got into a bad habit of pulling up too much with my feet and putting less force on the pedal using the ball of my foot.

Anybody else experience this? Could I benefit from tighter shoes, these are a 46 and I wear a normal shoe of size 11, but have being wearing these shoes for almost 18 months now. Maybe as simple as the shoes, after 18 months are no good any more (18 months = 6000+ miles).

screenman

Legendary Member
I doubt it is pulling up, in fact I thought this idea was somewhat disproved.

Citius

As Screenman says. If you are purposely pulling up, then don't. Your legs aren't designed that way. They are designed to push down. If there was no problem before you began pedalling in that way, then there's your answer.

Klassikbike

Try to close up your shoes a bit less tight, better insoles could also be helpfull. I also started to pull up more than before especially on steep climbs but I dont get the symptoms you mention.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Interested that pulling up is disproved. I do it all the time and make a circular motion as opposed a push. Works for me, although tiring at first, with a bit of training it helps me put in a burst on a flat or a hill.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
I've been off the bike all week and my feet have healed. I certainly don't intend to pull up, it wasn't a concious change to how I pedalled, but I happened to notice during some pedalling I appeared to be pulling up with the top of my feet. That could be a red herring, especially as above if the feet are just rubbing.

I think I will try some new shoes.

Top Bottom