Sore Feet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Last year i did several 60 milers with no problems at all in the sore bum/feet dept.
In April we are doing the coast 2 coast by roads and will be going for 68 miles on the first day with 103 miles on the second day.

If it is dry i do not anticipate any problems but should it be wet i am worried about sores and blisters on my feet.

Can anyone recomment any tips to avoiding the sores/blisters and should they appear, any tips on treatment/products on the market i should buy before i set off

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi, what are you wearing on your feet?
If you use 'clipless' pedals, which types?
Does your footwear allow for your feet swelling during the day (especially when warm)?

If you anticipate a wet trip, overshoes might be a good investment.
Plastic sandwhich bags can keep a fair amount of water out, but not indefinately.
Vaseline/Sudocreme can help.

OP
OP
DiddlyDodds

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Hi, what are you wearing on your feet?
If you use 'clipless' pedals, which types?
Does your footwear allow for your feet swelling during the day (especially when warm)?

If you anticipate a wet trip, overshoes might be a good investment.
Plastic sandwhich bags can keep a fair amount of water out, but not indefinately.
Vaseline/Sudocreme can help.

I wear Shimano RO76 road shoes with Shimano SPD R540 peddles , i have always used normal socks and not as yet got any overshoes.

Do socks from from bike shops make much difference to comfort, as they seem rather expensive for a pair of socks.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Overshoes in cold weather. If it's warm and wet I'll often go without socks. With stiff (Specialized) shoes it's never been a problem.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Can't comment on special socks, but I use very thin ones or none at all in the summer and regular sports-socks in the winter plus Endura neoprene overshoes. my first ever spd shoes were a bit tight and didn't allow much room to manouvere inside them without some rubbing.

My second pair, shimano + using look cleats have much more space inside allowing an insole and sock-thickness variations without any rubbing and have never found foot discomfort to be an issue. I did find that the look pedal system is more stable on the pedal so less movement is experienced during riding which might lead to irritation.

Top Bottom