Sore Hands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have had wrist issues as well (think 11 ops in 15 years with the wrist dislocating 20-30 times a day, 5 years not able to cycle at all...).
I found a solution with my mountain bike was to really shorten the stem forcing me to sit up more, have ergonomic grips with bar ends etc. I found I could ride for a reasonable length of time after that with the assistance of painkillers.

What was much better in the long term was changing style of bike completely - I can't go over to road bikes or drop bars becuase of the injury, so I went over to touring bikes and had a custom fitted bike. the difference was stunning. 2 weeks touring on my mtb left my hand numb for 6 months, 12 months touring on my off-road touring/expedition bike and I had no long term issues... ironically they both had the same grips and bar ends and I used the same gloves and I have not needed any painkillers!

I actually think the difference was the professional bike fitting. The guys in the shop gave me all the time and assistance I needed and were exceptionally helpful listening to what I needed which was the weight off that wrist, and changing stems, risers, seats etc until I had something I could cycle long term with.

Have you had a professional bike fitting?

OP
OP
G

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
Not had a fitting.Bought the Giant from LBS,they adjusted the saddle.Any good places for a fitting in Surrey?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Padded gloves and Ergon grips:

Sorted.

ergon_grips_4-399-75.jpg

Look into recumbents? No weight on your hands at all then.

It's a seriouly brave person who risks Surrey roads on a recumbent. They are bad enough on a road/mtb/tourer. I used to live there and cycled to work. I would see 4 or 5 near misses each way. It actually got to the point where I would close my eyes, so I didn't have to keep witnessing the accidents. In the end I changed my route nearly doubling it, just to reduce the stress of cycling to work!
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2117610_hand_cyclist_set_for_paralympics_despite_crash I used to pass her frequently often at a particularly bad part of the B3001 and put bluntly it was bad enough on my mtb with lights and hi-viz clothing. On a her bike, I don't know how she survived all these years - the orange flag never quite seemed enough, but then motorists were amazingly good at killing themselves on one particular bend as it was - one old oak tree shows the scars of many fatal crashes - somehow they all hit the same oak tree time and time again.

ayceejay

Guru
When you ride with your body so low that you form an unnatural curve in your neck to look straight ahead it is possible to create a problem that manifests in the wrists and hands. As important as getting a bike fit is your posture while on the bike, try keeping your neck in a more gentle curve when riding and straight when you are not.

Top Bottom