Sore thigh muscles - am I overdoing things?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I had continually sore thigh muscles from cycling a few years ago, and it turned out I had iron (and perhaps other vitamin) deficiencies. Once I rectified those, the soreness all but vanished.

S-Express

I will take a look at increasing the saddle height as you both say.

They are both assuming your saddle is too low, without any obvious evidence. It's equally likely that it might be too high.

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
They are both assuming your saddle is too low, without any obvious evidence. It's equally likely that it might be too high.
Yes, but a fair assumption I think as otherwise my hamstrings would be hurting. The saddle is in the right ballpark I think as I have done the heel on pedal at bottom dead centre thingy.

vickster

Legendary Member
Serious question @vickster
Did the specific cycling physio stuff really make a massive difference to your cycling?
Just interested.
Nope because I have long standing injuries but I know the bike set up isn't making things worse. I saw her first after surgery and wanted to be reassured that the bike fit was ok

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Yes, but a fair assumption I think as otherwise my hamstrings would be hurting. The saddle is in the right ballpark I think as I have done the heel on pedal at bottom dead centre thingy.
We are all different, different height, weight , build etc so we will all differ when it comes to bike fit. You could shell out for a professional fit and still find you have issues, as @Shut Up Legs said , he had health issues related to the soreness so it is not always bike fit that is the cause. Try the saddle adjustments up, down back and forward to see if it helps, if you are still having a lot of pain it might be related to your general health, lactic acid build up in the legs could be causing the pain you are experiencing, http://www.active.com/cycling/articles/every-cyclist-s-enemy-exploring-lactic-acid-880046

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

We are all different, different height, weight , build etc so we will all differ when it comes to bike fit. You could shell out for a professional fit and still find you have issues, as @Shut Up Legs said , he had health issues related to the soreness so it is not always bike fit that is the cause. Try the saddle adjustments up, down back and forward to see if it helps, if you are still having a lot of pain it might be related to your general health, lactic acid build up in the legs could be causing the pain you are experiencing, http://www.active.com/cycling/articles/every-cyclist-s-enemy-exploring-lactic-acid-880046
Many thanks, yes, that seems the logical approach. I think I will do DIY saddle adjustments, then pro bike fit as the first two options.
Another question, you're not taking statins for high cholesterol are you? Muscle pain a common side effect
No, not an any sort of medication thank you.

Sharky

Guru
Well it's not an age thingy. I can recall lots of times in the past when I've hardly been able to walk downstairs after a long ride and often takes several days to recover. Try and change your riding pattern and have one day at high intensity, then the next couple at low intensity until your legs have fully recovered.

Hope you find the remedy.

ayceejay

Guru
leg muscles.jpg
Just to be clear, the pain occurs when you are riding? Have a look at the anatomical diagram and say which muscle or muscles hurt. Does this happen on every ride? Does it happen at any other time? Did it happen with the old bike? Does it come on immediately or at what point in the ride?

Last edited:
I think we are over thinking this. You are cycling 70 km 3days in a row? That's 2 to 3 hours exercise each day, pushing yourself with no recovery time. You are over training.

Ask any body builder : you build muscle on the rest days. Rest is as important as work to get stronger.

If you can't spread out your commutes, then take off the hrm every second day, or just stick to lower heart rates to recover and build muscle.

Make sure you have good protein in your diet, but after exercise like this, you need to replenish glycogen, so look to carbs.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/537246-the-best-time-to-replenish-glycogen-exercise/

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
High protein snack after riding isn't a bad idea anyway (and food rather than junk powders IMO) but I've not heard of it curing sore feelings so I'd be suspecting the bike fit too.
Another question, you're not taking statins for high cholesterol are you? Muscle pain a common side effect
That's usually an entirely worse sort of hell than mere soreness :sad:

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

I had continually sore thigh muscles from cycling a few years ago, and it turned out I had iron (and perhaps other vitamin) deficiencies. Once I rectified those, the soreness all but vanished.
Sorry, just seen this and it's worth considering - thanks.

Well it's not an age thingy. I can recall lots of times in the past when I've hardly been able to walk downstairs after a long ride and often takes several days to recover. Try and change your riding pattern and have one day at high intensity, then the next couple at low intensity until your legs have fully recovered.

Hope you find the remedy.
Thank you and I will go with that.

View attachment 138092 Just to be clear, the pain occurs when you are riding? Have a look at the anatomical diagram and say which muscle or muscles hurt. Does this happen on every ride? Does it happen at any other time? Did it happen with the old bike? Does it come on immediately or at what point in the ride?
Thank you. It's the Rectus Femoris and it happens on every ride, unless I have had perhaps a week or two off (clue there, I suppose). Didn't happen with the last bike but then I wasn't putting in as much mileage. Comes on almost immediately.

I think we are over thinking this. You are cycling 70 km 3days in a row? That's 2 to 3 hours exercise each day, pushing yourself with no recovery time. You are over training.

Ask any body builder : you build muscle on the rest days. Rest is as important as work to get stronger.

If you can't spread out your commutes, then take off the hrm every second day, or just stick to lower heart rates to recover and build muscle.

Make sure you have good protein in your diet, but after exercise like this, you need to replenish glycogen, so look to carbs.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/537246-the-best-time-to-replenish-glycogen-exercise/
I like it, I think you're right, so I will now do: Rest (inc easy rides) & diet > saddle adjustments > pro bike fit (stopping when one works). Many thanks for your advice.

High protein snack after riding isn't a bad idea anyway (and food rather than junk powders IMO) but I've not heard of it curing sore feelings so I'd be suspecting the bike fit too.
Yes, can't hurt, eh?

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

... and what do you all think of this for dietary advice for the commuting cyclist? Something I bookmarked a long while ago.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
... and what do you all think of this for dietary advice for the commuting cyclist? Something I bookmarked a long while ago.
Awful. Riding before breakfast is hell. I do it every few months because I've no choice and I just feel drained for the rest of the day.

Gels and "recovery drink"s are junk food. Much of the rest of the advice is OK but nothing special and stuff that most people would do anyway, surely?

Top Bottom