sore wrist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kirstysparrow

Hello I have rediscovered the fun of cycling over the last couple of weeks. I have a nice bike but have not used it regularly.
I have noticed that I get a sore right wrist after just a few minutes on the bike. It is just one side and up my arm a bit. I then constantly juggle the position of my hand for the rest of the ride. The left wrist does not hurt but it doesn't feel comfortable on the handlebars either.
I am wondering if it is the handlebars which are bent towards me rather than being straight. Has anyone experience of this please?

jack smith

Veteran
Mtb? If sp,invest in some bar ends that sit upright i ride road and cant ride an mtb woth flat bars or my wrosts are in agony but i can ride with bar ends great

ChrisEyles

Guru
When I got my first road bike I suffered from this problem too. It eased up after a while, I guess because the core muscles build up to hold your torso in place without resting all the weight on the wrists/hands.

How much drop is there from your saddle to your handle bars? You could try raising/flipping the stem (you tube can show you how) to raise your bars, which will take some weight off of your hands/wrists, and give your body a chance to acclimate to your riding position a bit more gradually.

OP
OP
K

kirstysparrow

Thanks for your replies. I shall try wearing my gloves next ride.
The handlebars are higher than the saddle already as I like a more upright position on a bike.
The weight distribution between handlebars and saddle seems ok, I'm not really leaning very hard, it feels more like my hands/wrists are being twisted oddly. I wondered if it was the shape of the bars maybe?

jim57

Regular
I have only been on a bike for little over a week and was having arm and shoulder pain. As previously suggested, I fitted a set of end bars yesterday and managed 15 miles with no pain at all. Give them a try, they are fantastic.

Try this link http://www.active.com/cycling/articles/uncomfortably-numb-tips-for-healthy-hands it is quite a normal problem even with experience riders

Top Bottom