Sorrento/Amalfi Coast - Road Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
My honeymoon is 7 days in Sorrento in April and SWMBO has just agreed that i can go riding one day. Anyone got any tips for:

- Bike rental companies based in Sorrento
- Some nice hilly routes in and around Sorrento

Cheers in advance!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can't help with advice, but I would just like to say that I hope that the Corona virus outbreak is under control by then and hasn't spread south to that area.

Good luck! (And if all is well, enjoy your day of cycling.)

Globalti

Legendary Member
The WHO has hinted that what we are seeing is the classic early stages of a world pandemic. I would have a plan B up my sleeve if I was you.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
There is nothing but hills there and fantastic scenery and some braver than me cyclists - I had every intention of doing the same until I was there and watched the traffic for a day - I know I only watched the coastal road from sorrento to amalfi but from what I gathered it is very much a free for all on the road and I could not see any system at all so I bottled out - bike shops a plenty out there

Great place to visit, we went back in 2013 and how busy it was. Personally I would just enjoy my honeymoon and leave the cycling until you get home. The drivers are pretty scary in Italy. Just enjoy the honeymoon, I am sure that Mrsdhd will thank you for it. Hoping of course that you won`t be affected in the area with the Coronavirus. All the best anyway.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
It's very hilly. The roads are quite narrow and, to be frank, Italians are often fast and careless drivers. I would just enjoy the stunning scenery in safety. I say this as someone who has been almost run over several times in Italy. They don't really bother with looking out for pedestrians and I don't think they care much about bikes either.

If you want a safe but pretty place to cycle, there are lots of cheap deals for Austria in the summer. Mayrhofen is beautiful from May onwards and not too hot. Plenty of road biking, both hills or down the valley bottom, and loads of mountain biking obviously.

DRM

Guru
All I would say is that the driving around Sorrento, Bay of Naples, Pompeii is frankly terrifying, let alone riding a bike, the state of the cars all look like something from a demolition derby, it speaks volumes when a local taxi driver told me that every time his brother comes to visit from the UK, the offer of driving his taxi is turned down because he’s forgotten how to drive in Naples, in fact Mrs DRM & I made full use of the transvesuviana coastal railway, as it was safer, and we had a hire car for two weeks, tried a couple of trips out, it wasn’t worth it, we only used it for supermarket trips, the only thing I worked out was traffic on a roundabout gives way to those on their right waiting to join the roundabout, we played a game of spot the dent free car whilst sat at a cafe in Ercolano, guess what, we saw only one,a highly polished Range Rover, I would swear it was the local crime king the way the traffic just got out of it’s way, we even saw at the T Junction near to the cafe that if the car behind got fed up of waiting, they would deliberately nudge the car in front, also if you decide to go to Naples use one of the open top sight seeing buses, because walking round independently is asking to get robbed & i am not exaggerating, the morning we left from Naples airport there was 2 murders.
However if you go to Sorrento it is beautiful, also visit Pompeii & Herculaneum they are mind blowing that the Romans lived the way they did all those years ago,but beware of the prices at the restaurants outside the Pompeii ruins as the prices go up at lunch time for the tourists, and can go even higher when a bus load of Americans are expected, but go down at evenings when the ruins have closed for the day, however there is a cafeteria in the ruins that was reasonably priced, and go to Capri too it’s well worth the ferry trip, also go up Vesuvius there is a bus picks up from Pompeii station (coastal railway again) then at the base of Vesuvius they take you half way up in a Unimog bus then you walk the rest of the way, but wear shoes that a) you’re not bothered about b) are comfy without heels or sandals, but the views from the top are stunning.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

We were in Sorrento a few years ago, sadly I never had the chance to do any cycling, I'd love to get the chance to go back and ride the coast road down to Amalfi. A mate of mine did the ride in the opposite direction as part of an Italian tour.

Last edited by a moderator:

Globalti

Legendary Member
That part of Italy sounds different from the cooler calmer north!

DRM

Guru
That part of Italy sounds different from the cooler calmer north!
The Bay of Naples area is something else with regard to use of the roads, but in all honesty I think I would be monitoring the Coronavirus situation as it’s now in a Tenerife hotel thanks to an Italian doctor, I think it may well spread further south in Italy as well.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
The consensus is: Drivers a insane, but scenery is stunning. I like these odds...

It's a maybe, i may just want to sink some beers and enjoy relaxing but i know there can only be so much of that for me! Also, we're sans kids(!) as the in laws agreed to take them for a week. What. A. Result.

We're monitoring coronavirus just now, sadly.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
My honeymoon is 7 days in Sorrento in April and SWMBO has just agreed that i can go riding one day. Anyone got any tips for:

- Bike rental companies based in Sorrento
- Some nice hilly routes in and around Sorrento

Cheers in advance!
The Amalfi cost is a free for all with 50 seat coaches, delivery lorries, cars and mopeds all vying for a piece of the very narrow and treacherous road with passing places and tunnels. Armco barriers separate you from the sea hundreds of feet below on outside hairpin bends around promontories... you'll find it an exciting ride. Other roads on the plains north to Naples are flat and straight. Hopefully you'll find other things to do on your honeymoon.

DRM

Guru
The consensus is: Drivers a insane, but scenery is stunning. I like these odds...

It's a maybe, i may just want to sink some beers and enjoy relaxing but i know there can only be so much of that for me! Also, we're sans kids(!) as the in laws agreed to take them for a week. What. A. Result.

We're monitoring coronavirus just now, sadly.
That sounds like a plan, Italian coffee, beers, sightseeing, history may not be your thing but as I say Pompeii & Herculaneum are mind blowing just how civilized Roman society was while we were still in mud huts, the fact that you can see ruts in the roads from Ox carts, even in the entrance to a house in Pompeii a mosaic with a picture of a tethered dog with the warning cave carnum-beware of the dog!
The fact that Pompeii’s amphitheater was closed for 2 years due to crowd violence, shows there is nothing new, hopefully you will get to go, it’s great chaotic and hectic but the people are lovely

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
That sounds like a plan, Italian coffee, beers, sightseeing, history may not be your thing but as I say Pompeii & Herculaneum are mind blowing just how civilized Roman society was while we were still in mud huts, the fact that you can see ruts in the roads from Ox carts, even in the entrance to a house in Pompeii a mosaic with a picture of a tethered dog with the warning cave carnum-beware of the dog!
The fact that Pompeii’s amphitheater was closed for 2 years due to crowd violence, shows there is nothing new, hopefully you will get to go, it’s great chaotic and hectic but the people are lovely

Oh definitely; my wife has us on a day trip out there. I think there may also be a boat ride at some point. But getting in some early morning miles in the Italian sun? Oh yeah, i'm getting my ride on!

Top Bottom