SORTED: MTB levers for cantilever brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Am hoping to do a little favour for a non-bike-savvy friend who has discovered that plastic brake levers don't exactly inspire confidence. He rides a Raleigh MTB of similar type and age to my 1998 Raleigh Max. I do have a pair of Chang Stars, but they're for side pull calipers of a decidedly earlier vintage.

So does anyone have by any chance a pair of 4 finger alloy MTB brake levers suitable for cantilever brakes knocking around in their parts bins that they'd be happy to, err, part with? :scratch:

I have a nice stash of shiny pennies in my piggy bank, so I'm sure we can come to some agreement. :okay:

battered

Guru
I have Shimano stx from 1995, integrated shifters and brakes. Front and rear, 3 x 7 speed.

battered

Guru
Shall I check they are still in the bucket of junk, sorry, reserve of precious vintage cycling components?
Edit - just seen your reply. You know that y can still use 7 speed selectors? Just set the limits accordingly and lose 2 gears at the top, bottom o r 1 each end.
Edit 2 - looks like you are sorted, you can keep the original selectors and I can keep the precious things.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Shall I check they are still in the bucket of junk, sorry, reserve of precious vintage cycling components?
Edit - just seen your reply. You know that y can still use 7 speed selectors? Just set the limits accordingly and lose 2 gears at the top, bottom o r 1 each end.
Edit 2 - looks like you are sorted, you can keep the original selectors and I can keep the precious things.

Reserve of vintage cycling components... Genius, love it! :laugh:

I know they can still be used, but I'm doing distance bike maintenance help (he's in Gloucestershire, I'm in Cambridgeshire), and my friend isn't mechanically savvy, bless him. :blush: Changing the brake levers is doable, messing around with limit screws a bit less so. He's quite happy with the thumb shifters that are currently fitted. :smile:

Top Bottom