Soup maker anyone ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I have recently discovered the joy of making soup. My most recent and only attempt is split pea soup. I used the ham and hock bone from the Christmas ham. It was easy and if you use a good amount of ham to give the soup density it comes out spectacularly delicious. I no longer care to consider "soup kits" sold in stores or elsewhere. There is no reason why you can't buy the ingredients necessary and make it yourself, folloiwng a recipe. If I can do it, anyone can. In fact, my son's friend was over while I was heating up some of the split pea soup I had made. He expressed a desire to have some. His response: This is the best split pea soup I've ever had. Mic drop.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have recently discovered the joy of making soup. My most recent and only attempt is split pea soup. I used the ham and hock bone from the Christmas ham. It was easy and if you use a good amount of ham to give the soup density it comes out spectacularly delicious. I no longer care to consider "soup kits" sold in stores or elsewhere. There is no reason why you can't buy the ingredients necessary and make it yourself, folloiwng a recipe. If I can do it, anyone can. In fact, my son's friend was over while I was heating up some of the split pea soup I had made. He expressed a desire to have some. His response: This is the best split pea soup I've ever had. Mic drop.
The Split pea soup I made last night used the water (stock) from boiling the ham (with herbs, celery, cloves, peppercorns etc), it was bloody delicious!

@Tripster @Dave7

1/2 Onion and one stick of Celery diced and sautéed in butter until golden
Add:
200g Split green (or Yellow) peas*
500ml stock*
Simmer until peas are starting to break-down - approx 25 mins
Blend and season - add a touch more stock or water to thin if required

*2 parts Peas to 5 or 6 parts stock works, so cups, buckets, ounces whatever

In Sweden evert Friday they have Artsoppe which is yellow pea soup with smoked meat (or sliced Frankfurters for a simple version) in it :-)

The Split pea soup I made last night used the water (stock) from boiling the ham (with herbs, celery, cloves, peppercorns etc), it was bloody delicious!

@Tripster @Dave7

Add:
500ml stock*

In Sweden evert Friday they have Artsoppe which is yellow pea soup with smoked meat (or sliced Frankfurters for a simple version) in it :-)
That sounds so good, another one trying this week. Thanks so much 👍

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
That sounds so good, another one trying this week. Thanks so much 👍

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Excellent!
Shakshuka is a brunch fave here too. As @Dave7 said, you can season/adapt as you see fit. Before you know it you have a store-cupboard of ingredients to rival Tesco :-)
Also with the interwebs there are a zillion recipes/versions for you to pick and choose as well.

One thing I have taken to doing is keeping a small notebook of recipes I liked, any tweaks/substitutes or ideas. I also make notes in recipe books as well.
I know, am a lost cause....
I've recently discover shakshuka too, my version is heavily adapted as the OH doesn't like peppers!. One version included the left over redcabbage from christmas. Very good with flat breads from an overlapping thread about store cupboards.....

AuroraSaab

Veteran
We have one that my OH uses around 2 times a week. He makes enough for his lunches and we will sometimes have soup at the weekend. It's a Morphy Richards model. Before this he used to make it on the hob but this is much quicker and easier. Takes about 20 mins.

A good tip is to make sure you cut the veg up small enough - if it gets stuck under the blades it will burn and be hard to clean off.

OH was a bit reluctant at first as he couldn't see the advantage over using a pan, but he loves it now and often says what a great buy it has been.

MntnMan62

Über Member

@Tripster @Dave7

Add:
500ml stock*

My split pea soup recipe has me cooking the ham bone/hocks in the water for an hour and a half to make a stock. But I decided not to use just water. Instead of the 8 cups of water the recipe called for I used 4 cups of water and 4 cups of chicken broth. It made a difference.

Hah, one of the best stocks I made was a couple of Christmases ago, when I did a spiced cranberry gammon for Christmas Day.

On Christmas eve, I went yellow stickering as per usual, and picked up a free range turkey really cheaply. It was when I got home that I realised I couldn't get the damn thing in the freezer as it was, so there was me, Christmas morning, boning out this turkey! So when the gammon went in the oven, the turkey bones went into the stock from the gammon.

Trouble was, I also went stickering on Boxing Day and got a duck for £1. Had to de-bone the duck as well, so those bones went into the stock too.

I ended up having to slice the stock with a knife! :laugh:

Mind, it made some of the best damn soups I've ever had. :hungry:

Top Bottom