Soup maker anyone ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I’m really enjoying it

I invested in James May recommended chopper upperer which is great for chopping onions ^_^. I am useless at cooking, but really enjoying it. I eat healthy but have eaten much better still cooking fresh. We ordered a takeaway last week and we both didn’t like it one bit. I made my own a few days after and loved all the fresh flavours and ingredients. Shakshuka is my next dish, Sunday brunch
Excellent!
Shakshuka is a brunch fave here too. As @Dave7 said, you can season/adapt as you see fit. Before you know it you have a store-cupboard of ingredients to rival Tesco :-)
Also with the interwebs there are a zillion recipes/versions for you to pick and choose as well.

One thing I have taken to doing is keeping a small notebook of recipes I liked, any tweaks/substitutes or ideas. I also make notes in recipe books as well.
I know, am a lost cause....

Excellent!
Shakshuka is a brunch fave here too. As @Dave7 said, you can season/adapt as you see fit. Before you know it you have a store-cupboard of ingredients to rival Tesco :-)
Also with the interwebs there are a zillion recipes/versions for you to pick and choose as well.

One thing I have taken to doing is keeping a small notebook of recipes I liked, any tweaks/substitutes or ideas. I also make notes in recipe books as well.
Thats a good idea, note book at the ready

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Excellent!

I do that for my currys but will likely start to do it for soups.
Just had day 2's portion and must say, it was nice.

You see soup is like a gateway drug, next you'll next making your own stock, home-made gravy (super-nommy) and before you know-it you've become Tom from the Good Life...
I made a curry paste for a Sweet Potato and Broccoli Curry. Ginger, garlic, onions, chilli and coriander blitzed in a blender. Then cooked over a medium heat. So next must be a gravy or stock 😊...off topic now, back to soup maker :smile:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Excellent!

I run a sort of diary notebook, so when we have people round, or I just cook something I've not done before, I note how it worked (it also helps so you don't feed the same thing to your friends each time they come).
And I put notes in cookbooks, usually about the length of time to cook, as some can be way out either way. And converting measures to grammes (I have a rough idea converting ounces to grammes, but haven't the foggiest about cup conversion).

It’s like we have been so use to eating food containing preservatives, additives, sugars and sweetners that we don’t really know what the real dish tastes like. I hate curry but when I made my own for the wife it was beautiful. Really enjoyed it. The wife taught disabled children to ride horses by trade and worked with horses from leaving school but poor pay and early starts led her to retrain as a baker (even earlier starts:wacko:) she enjoys cooking and for years wanted me to try. I think me calling myself the neW Gordon R is pushing it a bit though:laugh:

I'm luckier than most. My mum trained in a professional kitchen, and then she taught me how to cook. Been doing stuff pretty well much since I was old enough to stir a bowl of batter. :blush:

A good tikka masala curry paste / base is easy to do. I don't bother with a blender, just chop stuff finely:

Half a head of garlic, chopped
A thumb-sized chunk of ginger, chopped
Teaspoon medium tikka masala curry powder
Teaspoon garam masala
Teaspoon turmeric
Teaspoon ground coriander
Two tablespoons oil

Fry off the ginger and garlic until soft, add the spices and sautee for a couple of minutes. You will need to move this around in the pan to stop from sticking. Then...

Two sliced onions
One can chopped tomatoes
One vegetable stock cube
Six cardamom pods

Add the onions to the paste and fry till soft. You may need to add a little more oil at this stage. In a large pan (I do this in a crock pot) warm up the tomatoes, stock cube and cardamom pods, then dump the contents of the frying pan into that. Simmer the sauce - about half an hour on the hob or several hours in the crock pot. Then add whatever you want into that.

I usually do a curry with roasted sweet potato & parsnip, chick peas or butter beans, two sweet peppers, a courgette and any other veggies I have that may want using. This will give you a "serves 6" but if you're greedy... :blush:

This curry gets most of its bite from the ginger. If you prefer a hotter curry, just add chilli to taste.

I'm luckier than most. My mum trained in a professional kitchen, and then she taught me how to cook. Been doing stuff pretty well much since I was old enough to stir a bowl of batter. :blush:

A good tikka masala curry paste / base is easy to do. I don't bother with a blender, just chop stuff finely:

Half a head of garlic, chopped
A thumb-sized chunk of ginger, chopped
Teaspoon medium tikka masala curry powder
Teaspoon garam masala
Teaspoon turmeric
Teaspoon ground coriander
Two tablespoons oil

Fry off the ginger and garlic until soft, add the spices and sautee for a couple of minutes. You will need to move this around in the pan to stop from sticking. Then...

Two sliced onions
One can chopped tomatoes
One vegetable stock cube
Six cardamom pods

Add the onions to the paste and fry till soft. You may need to add a little more oil at this stage. In a large pan (I do this in a crock pot) warm up the tomatoes, stock cube and cardamom pods, then dump the contents of the frying pan into that. Simmer the sauce - about half an hour on the hob or several hours in the crock pot. Then add whatever you want into that.

I usually do a curry with roasted sweet potato & parsnip, chick peas or butter beans, two sweet peppers, a courgette and any other veggies I have that may want using. This will give you a "serves 6" but if you're greedy... :blush:

This curry gets most of its bite from the ginger. If you prefer a hotter curry, just add chilli to taste.
Screen shot that and giving it a go at weekend. Many thanks that sounds so nice. I really like sweet potato and parsnips so this is my kind of dish.
Thanks again:okay:

Excellent!

NR1F6400_small.jpg

Will this do? :scratch:

I just keep stuff filed away in my head... :blush: The exception is for baked goods, where I *do* write stuff down.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
View attachment 568452

Will this do? :scratch:

I just keep stuff filed away in my head... :blush: The exception is for baked goods, where I *do* write stuff down.
Hey, great idea for a thread "show us the inside of your kitchen cupboard". Only one rule, no cheating - just open the cupboard and photo, no tidying allowed. :okay:
Here's mine, sorry about the poor quality

Top Bottom