Soup maker anyone ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Leek, shallot, garlic, potato, other random bits and Stilton soup is properly good. As for this leftover cheese fiction, I got a pound of Stilton for £3 a week ago, and there's still a fair bit left. I might have to crack open the leftover Port...

Well, cheese and onion *is* one of those classic combinations. :hungry:

Stilton, pear and walnut salad, dressed with a vinaigrette, is good too. :blush:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, cheese and onion *is* one of those classic combinations. :hungry:

Stilton, pear and walnut salad, dressed with a vinaigrette, is good too. :blush:
Reynard speaketh the sense.
Hmmm. I haven't got any walnuts left, but toasted flaked almonds and sunflower seeds might well fit the bill.
They worked very nicely with little gem, feta and a nice mustardy vinaigrette t'other day. Nom!

EDIT - We've not met ever, have we? Fancy a ride to a cafe when all this is over?

Reynard speaketh the sense.
Hmmm. I haven't got any walnuts left, but toasted flaked almonds and sunflower seeds might well fit the bill.
They worked very nicely with little gem, feta and a nice mustardy vinaigrette t'other day. Nom!

EDIT - We've not met ever, have we? Fancy a ride to a cafe when all this is over?

Mmmmm, toasted pumpkin seeds might be a nice alternative too. :hungry:

No, we haven't. And why not, should the opportunity arise. Stevenage isn't a million miles away from here i.e. Ely. :okay:

There's good walnut foraging to be had in these parts. :blush: Just as well, as my three saplings are still too small...

My wife uses her soup blended every week. As said before, carrot & coriander are a favourite. Veg soup, tomato soup. It has a smooth, purée setting, lumpy or chunky as I call them. It’s bloody brilliant especially for a useless cook like me.
Although for Christmas I got the James May ‘Oh Cook’ book and so far made
Coconut and Red Lentil Dahl
A Keema Curry ( Previously would not touch curry or eat at takeaways etc.)
Last night I made my very first Cottage Pie. So getting better at cooking.

Love the soup blender though :okay: Hope you enjoy it

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My wife uses her soup blended every week. As said before, carrot & coriander are a favourite. Veg soup, tomato soup. It has a smooth, purée setting, lumpy or chunky as I call them. It’s bloody brilliant especially for a useless cook like me.
Although for Christmas I got the James May ‘Oh Cook’ book and so far made
Coconut and Red Lentil Dahl
A Keema Curry ( Previously would not touch curry or eat at takeaways etc.)
Last night I made my very first Cottage Pie. So getting better at cooking.

Love the soup blender though :okay: Hope you enjoy it
Congrats on getting into the kitchen!
Cooking good tasty food is actually very simple once you realise that most recipes are variations on themes and that a few basic principles mastered, the world's your oyster.
Lot's of recent cook books (starting with Jamie Oliver) have helped simplify cooking and if a few kitchen gadgets enable you to do more then that's great!

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
We both voted my chicken soup a great success. Very tasty and quite filling.
We will finish it off today.
Next (I think) will be carrot and coriander.
Inspired by your thread, I bought a bag of dried split peas at the weekend, so Soup'n'salad with home-made bread is on the menu tonight!

I’m really enjoying it
Congrats on getting into the kitchen!
Cooking good tasty food is actually very simple once you realise that most recipes are variations on themes and that a few basic principles mastered, the world's your oyster.
Lot's of recent cook books (starting with Jamie Oliver) have helped simplify cooking and if a few kitchen gadgets enable you to do more then that's great!
I invested in James May recommended chopper upperer which is great for chopping onions ^_^. I am useless at cooking, but really enjoying it. I eat healthy but have eaten much better still cooking fresh. We ordered a takeaway last week and we both didn’t like it one bit. I made my own a few days after and loved all the fresh flavours and ingredients. Shakshuka is my next dish, Sunday brunch

I’m really enjoying it

I invested in James May recommended chopper upperer which is great for chopping onions ^_^. I am useless at cooking, but really enjoying it. I eat healthy but have eaten much better still cooking fresh. We ordered a takeaway last week and we both didn’t like it one bit. I made my own a few days after and loved all the fresh flavours and ingredients. Shakshuka is my next dish, Sunday brunch

That's the thing - when you start cooking stuff, you quickly realise how godawful prepared food (ready meals, takeaways etc) can be. :smile: And how bloomin' expensive!

If you have a local Tesco, their monthly magazine has loads of good and really easy recipes. :okay:

That's the thing - when you start cooking stuff, you quickly realise how godawful prepared food (ready meals, takeaways etc) can be. :smile: And how bloomin' expensive!

If you have a local Tesco, their monthly magazine has loads of good and really easy recipes. :okay:
It’s like we have been so use to eating food containing preservatives, additives, sugars and sweetners that we don’t really know what the real dish tastes like. I hate curry but when I made my own for the wife it was beautiful. Really enjoyed it. The wife taught disabled children to ride horses by trade and worked with horses from leaving school but poor pay and early starts led her to retrain as a baker (even earlier starts:wacko:) she enjoys cooking and for years wanted me to try. I think me calling myself the neW Gordon R is pushing it a bit though:laugh:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
It’s like we have been so use to eating food containing preservatives, additives, sugars and sweetners that we don’t really know what
Agree.
With my chicken soup I added black pepper. At the end I also added a sprinkling of salt but it was just a sprinkling

Agree.
With my chicken soup I added black pepper. At the end I also added a sprinkling of salt but it was just a sprinkling
My wife does the carrot and coriander, i think, but never watched, she uses vegetable stock but would need to ask her. Sweet potato and carrot is my favourite bit again I dont make the soups. She does make some lovely ones though and even kids think her tomato soup is better than any in shops

Top Bottom