Soup maker anyone ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Do you chuck it in raw....then the soup maker chops and cooks it all ?
Chop it roughly depending on what it is. Carrots parsnips or turnips about 1.5 inch square but cabbage leaves just torn up by hand.
Today I made parsnip, cabbage and red lentil. Worked well.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Chop it roughly depending on what it is. Carrots parsnips or turnips about 1.5 inch square but cabbage leaves just torn up by hand.
Today I made parsnip, cabbage and red lentil. Worked well.
So you chuck it in raw and the machine does everything ??

GetFatty

Über Member
Yeah we’ve got one and I get what people are saying about a pan and a blender but with the soup maker you just chuck everything in it, leave it to it and you get hot soup. Not saying I’m lazy or anything........

Ours is by Salter

oldwheels

Legendary Member
So you chuck it in raw and the machine does everything ??
Yep. It beeps to tell you when ready in less than 30 minutes. I make 5 servings at a time, 2 in freezer, eat one and other two in fridge for next couple of days. Other permutations are available.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yep. It beeps to tell you when ready in less than 30 minutes. I make 5 servings at a time, 2 in freezer, eat one and other two in fridge for next couple of days. Other permutations are available.
When convenient could you give me a full samplef recipe and step by step guide .
Thanks ie including stock etc.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
When convenient could you give me a full samplef recipe and step by step guide .
Thanks ie including stock etc.
Er well I don't do recipes as such. Bit of whatever is handy and a bit of anything else lying around and mebbe a small handful of lentils to thicken it a bit plus a stock cube of whatever seems suitable. If there was too much for last night's tea I may leave that for adding to the soup. If too long interval freeze it for a couple of days and defrost for the soup.

Still on Christmas turkey soup here. Managed to make about 7ltrs of stock which i then froze down into bags 700ml each portion. For meat based soups i prefer cubed vegetables but most of my soups are blended like all others with a stick blender, favourite being carrot soup with some nutmeg.

Turkey and leak some for tomorrows lunch:okay:

Must admit i like the idea of a "one pot soup maker" will do some digging into that;)

Soups are great for yellow label veg offers. When mushrooms are 10p/carton Im having mushroom soup.
A good stock is useful. The easiest is probably roast chicken stock using all the bits left over.
There are some good tinned soupes but salt content can be high.

These days I am partial to a spicy noodle soup with bits of beef, chicken, thin sliced veg with lots of pepper and ginger. I have been using knoor chicken noodle packet as the base.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Sorry, showing my ignorance. Do I assume you cook them and THEN blend them ?
Yes boil in a pan til well done, drain and then blend with butter salt pepper sugar and cream / creme fraiche

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Taken the plunge.......went to Aldi this morning and bought the soup maker.
I agree with the comments re boiling and blending but for £35 gave it a punt.
Will try it today or tomorrow and report back.
Not read the instructions yet but the options are.......
Blend ???
Smoothie for cold drinks
Compote ???
Chunky soup (MrsDs favourite)
Smooth soup.

Apparently you chuck everything in and 30 minutes later you have hot soup of your choice.....sounds good ^_^

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Taken the plunge.......went to Aldi this morning and bought the soup maker.
I agree with the comments re boiling and blending but for £35 gave it a punt.
Will try it today or tomorrow and report back.
Not read the instructions yet but the options are.......
Blend ???
Smoothie for cold drinks
Compote ???
Chunky soup (MrsDs favourite)
Smooth soup.

Apparently you chuck everything in and 30 minutes later you have hot soup of your choice.....sounds good ^_^
Maybe I could even manage that! :laugh: Be interested to hear what you think of it.

CaptainJack

Good lady recently purchased some sort of soup ninja - couldn’t tell you much about it, other than looking like a blender & heating the soup....been fantastic so far. Seems simple enough to use, might even try it myself sometime.

Bit of a whatever is in the cupboard type family like @oldwheels when it comes to the ingredients, but haven’t had a bad one in any of her creations 👍🏼

I'm part of the large pan and stick blender brigade. :blush: But then I only have a galley kitchen, so not much space to keep gadgets. Ergo gadgets have to be chosen carefully.

Made a lovely turkey noodle soup today; onion, two cloves of garlic, four carrots, a parsnip, a large leek, four sticks of celery and three nests of vermicelli. Plus a large tub of Tesco's Finest turkey gravy that I got on yellow sticker last week. Had a big bowl this evening for supper. :hungry:

Prior to that, it was a potato, cheese and onion soup (out of the Tesco magazine), which was truly lush. It says to use leftover cheese. But pray, what is this leftover cheese of which they speak? :scratch:

Other favourites are roasted mediterranean vegetable (tomato, onion, peppers, courgette, garlic), scotch broth, curried parsnip, leek and potato, minestrone...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm part of the large pan and stick blender brigade. :blush: But then I only have a galley kitchen, so not much space to keep gadgets. Ergo gadgets have to be chosen carefully.

Made a lovely turkey noodle soup today; onion, two cloves of garlic, four carrots, a parsnip, a large leek, four sticks of celery and three nests of vermicelli. Plus a large tub of Tesco's Finest turkey gravy that I got on yellow sticker last week. Had a big bowl this evening for supper. :hungry:

Prior to that, it was a potato, cheese and onion soup (out of the Tesco magazine), which was truly lush. It says to use leftover cheese. But pray, what is this leftover cheese of which they speak? :scratch:

Other favourites are roasted mediterranean vegetable (tomato, onion, peppers, courgette, garlic), scotch broth, curried parsnip, leek and potato, minestrone...

Leek, shallot, garlic, potato, other random bits and Stilton soup is properly good. As for this leftover cheese fiction, I got a pound of Stilton for £3 a week ago, and there's still a fair bit left. I might have to crack open the leftover Port...

Top Bottom