South Downs Way in a day.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
So, after months of talking about it, yesterday I finally cycled the South Downs Way from Winchester to Eastbourne.
Moving time was 11.5 hours and I averaged 9mph which i was more than happy with for a 1st attempt. It was by far the toughest ride ive ever done. I experienced a rollercoaster of emotions throughout the ride, some fantastic views and the amazing sense of satisfation at completing the challenge i had set myself :smile:
Has anyone else cracked it and if so, what were your thoughts?

Last edited:
It's a lovely route, with epic views. I've done it in a day, but I'd rather do it over a couple, and stop and take in the views / hostelries along the way.:okay:
Well done on making it:thumbsup::cheers:

U

User19783

Yep
Done that,
But we did it at night, and starting from Beachy head to Winchester,
It was all well organized, it has been the best sportive I've ever done,
It's a shame the company hasn't done another one for a couple of years,
And yes I would do it again, great fun. But
Didn't see much of the countryside:laugh:

Muddychic75

So, after months of talking about it, yesterday I finally cycled the South Downs Way from Winchester to Eastbourne.
Moving time was 11.5 hours and I averaged 9mph which i was more than happy with for a 1st attempt. It was by far the toughest ride ive ever done. I experienced a rollercoaster of emotions throughout the ride, some fantastic views and the amazing sense of satisfation at completing the challenge i had set myself :smile:

Muddychic75

@Muddychic75 must be your turn next! :okay:
Indeed it is - tough winter training ahead - I'll be living up to my cc name ! Any advice ? apart from hill training or maybe growing wings !

Last edited:
OP
OP
mrbikerboy73

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
Indeed it is - tough winter training ahead - I'll be living up to my cc name ! Any advice ? apart from hill training or maybe growing wings !
Haha, you will indeed! Go for it, I know you can do it :smile: Do as many long and hilly rides as possible is all you can do really. Maybe try Winchester back home to start with and see how you go. It's the least hilly part but there are still plenty! Are you doing much riding lately?

Muddychic75

Haha, you will indeed! Go for it, I know you can do it :smile: Do as many long and hilly rides as possible is all you can do really. Maybe try Winchester back home to start with and see how you go. It's the least hilly part but there are still plenty! Are you doing much riding lately?
Thanks :smile: I'll prob break mentally whilst training but it's all good. I ride as much as I can which isn't as much as I'd like because I don't have as much time as I used to.
Winchester & bk home makes sense I'll be suggesting that for sure.
How about you ? Did you join the Don Lock procession ?

Last edited:
Well done. What sort of bike did you ride? I assume parts of the SDW is off road?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I rode it from Winchester to Ditchling Beacon but cycled down the hill to home, and the pub, rather than the extra 25 to E'bourne.
A slight regret.

Top Bottom