South Wales Iron Man today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
My Niece's boyfriend is, at this moment competing in it.
Its a 2 4 mile swim in the sea... ....followed by a 112 mile bike ride ......followed by a 26.2 mile marathon run.
First question in my head was, how the hell do they do that!!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

First question in my head was, how the hell do they do that!!!
We have an Outlaw Triathlon around our area on the 26/27th, there's loads of signs everywhere so I looked it up, that one is a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile ride followed by a 13.1 mile run, I thought exactly the same as you & that's half of your nieces boyfriends.

Slick

Guru
Yep but even then no chance

Sometime in the past I seem to recall being a youth AND reasonably fit.
I could never have even dreamed of doing that :blush:
It's wasted on the young anyway. I think anyone's younger self with the proper incentive, would manage it. I remember giving up playing sport when I realised any injury meant no pay from work. One of the few things I would change if I could start again would be work much less and keep more energy for taking on more physical challenges like this.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My neighbour did the Wales Ironman about three years ago. He'd never cycled seriously till a couple of years before the event and completed the course. In his early forties he turned into a strong cyclist, enough to convince me that if he'd got into the sport in his early years he's have been a well above average rider. About a year after doing it he lost all interest and all his kit (Lots of it and all top range, Di2 etc) was sold.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I've always fancied doing an ironman but I don't know where I'd find one down here :smile:.

stephec

Legendary Member
Youth, remember that. :okay:
There's a bloke in my running club in his early forties who does them, he's like poo off a shovel, full marathon in under three hours, and earlier in the year he was sent a sticker for his bike by Ironman as he was in a top certain percentage for his age group.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Gareth Thomas is competing in the full ironman today. Having just announced he is HIV possitive.
Isnt it amazing what modern drugs can do.

Slick

Guru
There's a bloke in my running club in his early forties who does them, he's like poo off a shovel, full marathon in under three hours, and earlier in the year he was sent a sticker for his bike by Ironman as he was in a top certain percentage for his age group.
Loads of people continue to compete at a reasonable level well past 40, and as always there is an exception to every rule but I would reckon most have been fit all their life and training from a young age. I also reckon cyclists in general are mostly fitter than they give themselves credit for.

Top Bottom