South Wales Iron Man today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I thought I was fit after 30 years of racing bikes, I then took up swimming and man did I realise that cycling got you fit for cycling found the same with running.
I've never thought it would be any other way to be honest, but base fitness will do you no harm for other sports. Swimming is fairly unique in its a whole body work out. You just have to look at pro cyclists to realise their wee tiny arms, shoulders and chest won't be enough to power them through the water. Again, some sprinters could prove me wrong.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have a secret ambition to do a half Ironman. I'm 51 with two small children and a job with daft hours in which I'm on my feet all day. I think it'll be achievable if I'm lucky with injuries.

The full Ironman might have to wait until the kids grow up

My lad did his events on 15 hours training each week, his long runs often done pushing my grandson in his pushchair.

Stephenite

Membå
My lad did his events on 15 hours training each week, his long runs often done pushing my grandson in his pushchair.
He must have a very understanding partner!

I've had to do some hard negotiating to get away for a couple of hours this coming Thursday! - Meeting up with a mate for a jog (and a beer/curry).

I've been lazy of late but I really do rely on the time during the commute to maintain a modicum of fitness.

Can I ask, @screenman , are you still keeping up with the swimming?

Stephenite

Membå
Fitness yes, but the health benefits are no more than you'd get from a brisk twenty minute walk every day. It is a bit of a myth that pushing your body to the point of exhaustion is a healthy thing to do.
I very much agree that a brisk walk each day has great benefits for the otherwise sedentary.

I would have thought that any long distance event (in itself) isn't a particularly healthy thing to do. It's the regular training, and setting a difficult goal and achieving it, that's worth the entrance fèe.

screenman

Legendary Member
He must have a very understanding partner!

I've had to do some hard negotiating to get away for a couple of hours this coming Thursday! - Meeting up with a mate for a jog (and a beer/curry).

I've been lazy of late but I really do rely on the time during the commute to maintain a modicum of fitness.

Can I ask, @screenman , are you still keeping up with the swimming?

Yes I still swim and will be in the pool at 7 am as usual. His wife was one of the countries top female cyclist, she still trains hard despite not racing at the moment.

Top Bottom