South Wales Iron Man today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

It's wasted on the young anyway. I think anyone's younger self with the proper incentive, would manage it. I remember giving up playing sport when I realised any injury meant no pay from work. One of the few things I would change if I could start again would be work much less and keep more energy for taking on more physical challenges like this.
No I cannot agree, I can see no point in my life where I could have achieved that, I was in my prime around 25 years old, as I was working outdoors, digging holes, climbing poles the coming home & doing DIY, but could never have done each event individually let alone altogether.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
No I cannot agree, I can see no point in my life where I could have achieved that, I was in my prime around 25 years old, as I was working outdoors, digging holes, climbing poles the coming home & doing DIY, but could never have done each event individually let alone altogether.
I am with you on that. Those people are (imo) special and we acknowledge that.

Slick

Guru

I am with you on that. Those people are (imo) special and we acknowledge that.
Fair enough, you both maybe right as everyone is different. I have a slightly different take but I won't bore anyone with it as I just end up sounding like Uncle Albert. Lol

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I’ve done all three elements separately. Except the swim was in a pool not open water.
I can’t imagine stringing all three together.
I understand that they are very expensive to enter too.

stephec

Legendary Member
Loads of people continue to compete at a reasonable level well past 40, and as always there is an exception to every rule but I would reckon most have been fit all their life and training from a young age. I also reckon cyclists in general are mostly fitter than they give themselves credit for.
He's got one advantage in that he commutes by bike as well.

Mind you there's another guy in his mid thirties who runs 13 miles one way to work a few times a week, my knees start twinging just looking at his Strava. :smile:

stephec

Legendary Member
I’ve done all three elements separately. Except the swim was in a pool not open water.
I can’t imagine stringing all three together.
I understand that they are very expensive to enter too.
Only second hand knowledge, but I did hear of £300 being quoted for the Bolton event.

I know a few people that have done the Bolton ironman event, most have been 50 years plus. Some have gone into it to do the best time they can (around 11 hours) while others have done it to just complete an ironman event and got full value for their money! It surprises me at the lack of fitness of some of them that have completed the course. As one guy put it, if you complete the swim and bike within the time limit, you have enough time to just walk the marathon.
Prices start at £300 for the first to register and go up to £465 for the last to enter.

screenman

Legendary Member
I know a few people that have done the Bolton ironman event, most have been 50 years plus. Some have gone into it to do the best time they can (around 11 hours) while others have done it to just complete an ironman event and got full value for their money! It surprises me at the lack of fitness of some of them that have completed the course. As one guy put it, if you complete the swim and bike within the time limit, you have enough time to just walk the marathon.
Prices start at £300 for the first to register and go up to £465 for the last to enter.

Got to finish in under 17 hours to be a true Iron Person, so I have been told.

Yes, that is the full value option, but there are time limits for the swim and bike leg. If you beat them you have time to walk the marathon at 4mph.

screenman

Legendary Member
Loads of people continue to compete at a reasonable level well past 40, and as always there is an exception to every rule but I would reckon most have been fit all their life and training from a young age. I also reckon cyclists in general are mostly fitter than they give themselves credit for.

I thought I was fit after 30 years of racing bikes, I then took up swimming and man did I realise that cycling got you fit for cycling found the same with running.

Top Bottom