FNRttC Southend Ride Friday 10th March 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@Fab Foodie , your route back is pretty much spot on, though on leaving Southend we turn right at the end of the cycle path and climb back up the hill to the A13 and just followed that to the mad and bad Benfleet RAB. I noticed you rode around it, next time, look for the cycle path on the right hand side that circumnavigates the RAB, Much safer. Your route after the ferry at Gravesend is pretty much spot on copy of the FNR route that included the canal path, bit bumpy that.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
And finally....

IMG_7111.JPG
IMG_7112.JPG
IMG_7113.JPG
IMG_7114.JPG
IMG_7115.JPG

Now, I have one more problem and it concerns J31 services. You see I have never been there before either by bicycle or car. But somehow I knew it as I arrived and cycled up the slope to the sliding doors. I knew the toilets were down the stairs to the left etc. I had been there before AND with cyclists, but never been on the Southend ride OR ever ridden into Essex. Deja Vue? A former life? I'm off to search the photo files for evidence. Could there be an identical design of services elsewhere?????

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ramekins!

(Can any one spill the beans about the bus driver, the cyclist and the Met? Or is it a case of what goes on on Friday night, stays on Friday night?)

A bus driver decided that he didn't like me cycling in the roadway so he decided to use his vehicle to try push me off the road. Shouting ensued just as a police car was passing. Cop in car ("I'm a traffic cop and a cyclist") just didn't want to know.

Tim Hall

OK, anyone tell me where this is?

@mmmmartin This is when as we arrived I said I'd been here before....this is 2014 and is with photos of us cycling through a tunnel.

View attachment 342203 View attachment 342204
J31. Presumably this was from your secret Double Life. I spy with my little eye @theclaud, @Aperitif (possibly). @StuAff and I think @Eddie_C. Is that @User10571 with his back to the camera in what looks like a RapHa top, and possibly, umm, can't remember her name, damn, hiding behind him.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
J31. Presumably this was from your secret Double Life. I spy with my little eye @theclaud, @Aperitif (possibly). @StuAff and I think @Eddie_C. Is that @User10571 with his back to the camera in what looks like a RapHa top, and possibly, umm, can't remember her name, damn, hiding behind him.
Well that's what I thought, but I can see no way in which I had ever cycled there before, unless Whistable has since moved from Essex to Kent? What other rides would go via J31????
Am confused and a bit disturbed by this!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well that's what I thought, but I can see no way in which I had ever cycled there before, unless Whistable has since moved from Essex to Kent? What other rides would go via J31????

Burnham On Crouch, Southend and Southwold used the north of the river variations. So would have been one of those.

Tim Hall

2014 sounds wrong though, leastways the November 2014 Sarfend ride went via Stock, not J31. My photo archive doesn't show any other Sarfend rides that year, but I may not have taken any snaps. I do recall the tunnel (Rov Rive), but can't recall when it was.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This was the 2014 ride calendar

21 March Southend via Stock
17 April Brighton (Thursday) via ???
3 May Belgium (possibly)
9 May Felpham via Faygate
16 May York to Hull
22/23/24 May Paris (hopefully not so hot)
6 June Whitstable via Strood
4th July Burnham-on-Crouch via Stock
11 July Brighton via ???
18 July S. Wales
8 Aug Southwold non-stop
15 Aug Whitstable via Strood
5 Sep Brighton via ???
12 Sep Southwold (possibly)
10 Oct Felpham via Faygate
7 Nov Southend via Junction 31

Tim Hall

This was the 2014 ride calendar

21 March Southend via Stock
17 April Brighton (Thursday) via ???
3 May Belgium (possibly)
9 May Felpham via Faygate
16 May York to Hull
22/23/24 May Paris (hopefully not so hot)
6 June Whitstable via Strood
4th July Burnham-on-Crouch via Stock
11 July Brighton via ???
18 July S. Wales
8 Aug Southwold non-stop
15 Aug Whitstable via Strood
5 Sep Brighton via ???
12 Sep Southwold (possibly)
10 Oct Felpham via Faygate
7 Nov Southend via Junction 31
Hmm. My pictures of Nov 2014 have his legship standing on the stage at Stock, telling us about Princess Margaret. They do have photos of Rov Rive tunnel though. The plot thickens.

Top Bottom