FNRttC Southend Ride Friday 10th March 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
I thought it was a cracking ride, nice speed. The stop at the junction was long but then we'd have been in Southend too early. Really well organised I thought. Did need a p1ss a few times but held out. Thanks to Titus and all those at the Fridays for welcoming us first timers

StuartG

slower but further
Have they had comfortable chairs installed?
Yep, a very relaxed ride ...

IMG_20170311_040244.jpg

T'was wonderful to see (and speak with some) new riders. Dispelled my fears the FNRttC was becoming a bit inbred. Three points to them:

1) Well done
2) if you enjoyed this you will enjoy the others even more
3) Share the joy & bring a friend next time

As ever my gratitude to everyone for just being there to make the occasion but especially @AKA Bob plus @rb58 & @ianrauk for the 'lift' back home. Much appreciated.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
My experience of the very lovely TECs is that if you need to pause for a comfort break then you will be accommodated. And if you just shout "don't go without me" and pop over a hedge leaving your bike behind then they get the message.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Great ride with very classy faceplant onto the tarmac about half a mile from the cafe from me to mark the occasion. Thank you to @mmmmartin & the other cyclist who i didnt catch the name of for sticking by to make sure i was well enough to make the final leg of the journey to the cafe.

I suspect a sprained right wrist, grazed right elbow and have now dressed deeply grazed knee that was still bleeding when i stepped out of the shower.

Time for rest and recuperation!
Oh dear. I hope you heal quickly.

hatler

Guru
Yep, a very relaxed ride ...
T'was wonderful to see (and speak with some) new riders. Dispelled my fears the FNRttC was becoming a bit inbred.
Can anyone say how many there were on the ride and what proportion were first-timers ?

OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Can anyone say how many there were on the ride and what proportion were first-timers ?

Of the 70 who signed up 46 made it the start with 12 of those being first timers and hopefully converts.

Also the first FNRttC I know of that didn't have an visitations or mechanicals causing long extended regroups...

We arrived at Junction 31 ahead of time because the allocated visitation time factored in during planning stage of the ride wasn't required during the first third.

As the Southend Ride is one of the shorter Rides we do and the breakfast stop wouldn't be open till 8am controlling the speed of ride post the half way stop so people aren't forced to stand around in some lay-by killing time is a tricky one. On this ride and also the Curry Ride I factored in an alternative route to remove a few miles if we where behind time. Which explains why didn't head up to Stock or ride across the dam last year. For those who are interested there was also a 12 mile post junction 31 route if the weather proved to be particularly inclement......

However allowing a little extra time in future to allow people to catch their breath at re groups wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

hatler

Guru
Of the 70 who signed up 46 made it the start with 12 of those being first timers and hopefully converts.

Also the first FNRttC I know of that didn't have an visitations or mechanicals causing long extended regroups...

We arrived at Junction 31 ahead of time because the allocated visitation time wasn't required on the first third of the ride. As the Southend Ride is one of the shorter Rides we do and the breakfast stop wasn't open till 8am it made sense to hold the ride there rather than standing in some lay-by on a potentially cold and damp morning so we wouldn't arrive too early.

However allowing a little extra time in future to allow people to catch their breath at regroups wouldnt hurt.
Those numbers are pretty impressive for an overnight mid-March ride.

All we need now is for the 12 first-timers all to bring along a friend on the next one !

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Journey's end for me is Faversham station to get the 1830 to Ramsgate and to be rescued by @Hill Wimp :-)

It's been a long but good sttempt today to ride from Sarfend to Deal. Good company from @Redlight to Gravesend with a lot of interesting stuff noted for future visits. NCN 1 is like all Sustrans route, a bit if a curates egg. Lots good for sightseeing and pootling, much mostly unsuitable for roadbikes and some simply shocking. As a result early progress was slow. BUT, it was warm, sunny, springlike and the countryside and scenery aquitted itself well. A fine alehouse was found for a pint of coke and crisps to add to the lovliness of the day.
205km on the clock. I'll bank those.

Will read and post more later.

Thanks Titus and mmmartin for looking after us, great to meet new faces...hope you enjoyed the experience. Finally always good to meet old pals, as well as the young pals!

Laters
FF

I was in Faversham yesterday, gone by lunchtime though. Congrats on a huge mileage, is that a personal best?

Top Bottom