FNRttC Southend Ride Friday 23rd March 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
A bump…email says 52 are signed up so far, exactly 50% newcomers. Which is nice.

Have started charging the batteries…spare sets done today. Just three sets of four AAs & four AAAs…

Trickedem

Guru
I'm flying into Heathrow on Friday night and may not get home till late. So I'm only a possible.

rb58

Enigma
Sitting here eating my breakfast at the Waterfront in Whitstable and I can see Southend. They’re ready for us :-)

The early weather forecast suggests it might be mildly damp, with temperatures above freezing. No frozen water bottles this year!

rb58

Enigma
Would have been good to meet up Ross, I'm in the waterfront now having a coffee. Gonna head east along the coast to Margate then to Sandwich. You must be on for the ton today.
Yep. 105 of your Great British Miles today.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
24 hours to go.....
Batteries charged. Kit waiting in the locker at work. Final bike checks, food shopping, and getting the rail tickets tomorrow morning. And tomorrow night, fingers crossed I can get the 9.38...
Will not, repeat, not be joining the SMRBtH. Makes the day a bit too long, particularly if Titus' prediction of 8.30 arrival in Saarfend proves accurate.

Trickedem

Guru
[QUOTE 5190133, member: 21629"]Has anybody got/know traffic-free/low-traffic route from Gravesend to Ashford? Preferably avoiding crossing Medway or Maidstone.[/QUOTE]
I can plot you a route that goes via the Medway Motorway Bridge cyclelane then along the Pilgrims way. It's generally low traffic, are you catching the ferry to Gravesend?

Trickedem

Guru
I can plot you a route that goes via the Medway Motorway Bridge cyclelane then along the Pilgrims way. It's generally low traffic, are you catching the ferry to Gravesend?
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27073438
This is the route I would take. It is not entirely traffic free, but is generally ok.
Tricky bits are: leaving Gravesend, climbing Sundridge Hill just before you cross the motorway Bridge and getting to the other side of Bluebell Hill(there is a tunnel)

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27073438
This is the route I would take. It is not entirely traffic free, but is generally ok.
Tricky bits are: leaving Gravesend, climbing Sundridge Hill just before you cross the motorway Bridge and getting to the other side of Bluebell Hill(there is a tunnel)

I also gave a bit of thought to that route, but it seems @Trickedem has beaten me to it. That is broadly what I was going to suggest. A couple of observations: Trickedem's route has you going along the busy A229 near Kits Cottage. It's possible to actually go under it via a bridge. Finding the bridge is a bit tricky. You have to go the "wrong way" on a cycle path up the sliproad (Old Chatham Road) probably past lots of parked lorries)

Trickedem's route
View attachment 401147
My variation. I go under the main road via a bridge by the Shell garage
View attachment 401148

Also note that the dotted line that goes off to the right hand edge of the map (to the East) next to the Shell garage is a cycle path. It cuts a big loop out. Note also that I didn't go along it. This is because it's quite muddy and when I tried it I had to walk for a kilometre or so.

Do either of you have a gpx off such file to download for map my ride?

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
@AKA Bob

Looking at the forecast, unfortunately I will be bowing out of the this ride due to the rain around 1am onwards. The forecast on the run up to the ride earlier in the week did clear up but now it seems to have gone too far south for my taste.

Unless the forecast changes before 8pm. I'll be sitting this one out

Last edited:

J1888

Über Member
@AKA Bob

Looking at the forecast, unfortunately I will be bowing out of the this ride due to the rain around 1am onwards. The forecast on the run up to the ride earlier in the week did clear up but now it seems to have gone too far south for my taste.

Unless the forecast changes before 8pm. I'll be sitting this one out

Hmm. Does look a bit wet, but not cold...

Top Bottom