FNRttC Southend Ride Friday 23rd March 2018

Discussion in 'CycleChat and Recreational Rides' started by AKA Bob, 2 Mar 2018.

1. StuAff

StuAff Silencing his legs regularly

A bump…email says 52 are signed up so far, exactly 50% newcomers. Which is nice.

Have started charging the batteries…spare sets done today. Just three sets of four AAs & four AAAs…

2. Trickedem

Trickedem Veteran

I'm flying into Heathrow on Friday night and may not get home till late. So I'm only a possible.

3. StuAff

There's always the option to join us for breakfast....

4. rb58

rb58 Enigma

Sitting here eating my breakfast at the Waterfront in Whitstable and I can see Southend. They’re ready for us :-)

The early weather forecast suggests it might be mildly damp, with temperatures above freezing. No frozen water bottles this year!

User10571, BromyG and StuAff like this.
  5. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

I'm about to ride over there. Never been to the waterfront but ridden past a few times.

6. rb58

rb58 Enigma

Dammit Dan. We could have met up. I’m half way back now.

7. Salty seadog

Would have been good to meet up Ross, I'm in the waterfront now having a coffee. Gonna head east along the coast to Margate then to Sandwich. You must be on for the ton today.

8. rb58

rb58 Enigma

Gentleman of Leisure, that's me. Just don't ask about the headwind :ohmy:

Gordon P likes this.
  9. rb58

rb58 Enigma

Yep. 105 of your Great British Miles today.

mmmmartin, StuAff and Salty seadog like this.
  10. StuAff

24 hours to go.....
    Batteries charged. Kit waiting in the locker at work. Final bike checks, food shopping, and getting the rail tickets tomorrow morning. And tomorrow night, fingers crossed I can get the 9.38...
    Will not, repeat, not be joining the SMRBtH. Makes the day a bit too long, particularly if Titus' prediction of 8.30 arrival in Saarfend proves accurate.

11. Trickedem

Trickedem Veteran

[QUOTE 5190133, member: 21629"]Has anybody got/know traffic-free/low-traffic route from Gravesend to Ashford? Preferably avoiding crossing Medway or Maidstone.[/QUOTE]
    I can plot you a route that goes via the Medway Motorway Bridge cyclelane then along the Pilgrims way. It's generally low traffic, are you catching the ferry to Gravesend?

12. Trickedem

Trickedem Veteran

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27073438
    This is the route I would take. It is not entirely traffic free, but is generally ok.
    Tricky bits are: leaving Gravesend, climbing Sundridge Hill just before you cross the motorway Bridge and getting to the other side of Bluebell Hill(there is a tunnel)

SteveF likes this.
  13. Salty seadog

Do either of you have a gpx off such file to download for map my ride?

14. RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube ~Tribanese~

@AKA Bob

Looking at the forecast, unfortunately I will be bowing out of the this ride due to the rain around 1am onwards. The forecast on the run up to the ride earlier in the week did clear up but now it seems to have gone too far south for my taste.

Unless the forecast changes before 8pm. I'll be sitting this one out

Last edited: 23 Mar 2018
  15. J1888

J1888 Über Member

Hmm. Does look a bit wet, but not cold...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice