FNRttC Southend Ride Friday 23rd March 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
6am alarm, hurried breakfast.
7.20am and I'm standing in pre dawn light and sub zero temps in a run down, very poor tiny Spanish hamlet arguing in Spanish with a coach driver who says the bike is to big to fit in his entirely empty coach. It's his coach so this is going only one way.
Five hours later and I arrive frozen after 60k of tiring riding on the wind and cold, in Salamanca, having walked two miles because the wind is too dangerous to ride a bike in. It's been mostly a headwind but also a side wind. Met Office said gusting 42mph. I have a ticket with bike to Madrid in three hours and right now am struggling to stay awake.
Have a hotel near the airport and a flight to LGW tomorrow afternoon.
Getting home from the coldest Spanish winter for 100 years, at short notice, is costing more than I spent in the past 12 days.
Hey ho.
Not all trips end up as you expect, that's what makes them an adventure rather than simply a holiday I suppose.

ianmac62

Guru
FWIW @mmmmartin the 1255 weather forecast on Radio 4 announced that the rain in northern Spain is so heavy, and set to be so prolonged, that the Spanish meteorological service has officially named it Storm Hugo.

Sorry to try everyones patience with 2 visits from the p*nct*re fairy; despite having heavily invested in 2 brand new schwable marathon plus for my new to me recumbent.
But worth ploughing on for a nice ride eventuallly and a great breakfast.
Thanks to all who helped me to get through the tube changing exercise [times 2]
and good to see so many new faces

cheers
bob

U

User10571

[QUOTE 5192250, member: 21629"]Did anybody count all punctures? 10+ of them?
I had one too, this time rear tyre :angry:
Puncture Fairy looked more like Puncture Shrek tonight.

So we started with few raindrops but this turned into a drizzle soon. Not too much annoying, just a drizzle, stronger or weaker. Not cold.
The sprint to J31 after the last stop was nasty, strong rain straight into face, when I went inside Costa or whatever it was I was feeling like:

View attachment 401376

A sandwich and Coke and coffee ... I'm alive again.

Rain stopped just before 5am when we left J31.

Country lanes were muuuuch better than "escape London", lots of long downhills.
Early morning hours and cold weather turned against me at most of stops and I was simply shaking from cold. But that's pretty normal to me.

I think it was 56k when I had a puncture. Woohoo...not. Thanks for these 2 men who helped to sort it out. When I will be rich I will get Tannus tyres for this bike.

Few miles before Southend I started to feel incredibly sleepy and even cold weather didn't wake me up.

Finally the finish, food and drink and warmth.

Train - ferry - train to get home.

Manage to sleep for couple of hours and I feel much better:

View attachment 401378

In conclusion: One Of The Rides To Remember.

Thank you @AKA Bob :notworthy:

EDIT:

View attachment 401380 [/QUOTE]
Glad to hear that you are home and toasty.
Don't even think about the Tannus tyres.
As I understand it, they don't make the bike handle at all well.
ETA - And are total PITA to remove...

Last edited by a moderator:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
There appears to be some confusion about the physical nature of cider. I believe the description refers to the flavour, i.e. 'not sweet'. Were it actually dry, it would be an apple. Good luck drinking one of those! Reminded me of a line from the unofficial James Bond film 'Never Say Never Again'. SPECTRE nasty Fatima Blush introduces herself to Bond by waterskiing up a ramp and into his arms at a bar.
'I've made you all wet'.
'Yes, but my martini is still dry'.
HTH.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well just as well I didn’t turn up.....

This morning:

F0135133-05BD-4A14-A6BE-C76EFB41C54E.jpeg

Despite M+, puncture was inside where the rim tape is getting tired....
You can’t plan for everything.

Last edited:
U

User10571

[QUOTE 5192300, member: 21629"]@User10571

I got another bike tonight, not my usual road bike:

View attachment 401382

Well, idea No. 1 is to buy Conti Gatorskin 32c tyres. Most likely I will stick to this.

And this is how the bike looks after the ride ....

View attachment 401383 [/QUOTE]
It looks a little like it has been through a war.
Or two ; )

Fab Foodie

[QUOTE 5192300, member: 21629"]@User10571

I got another bike tonight, not my usual road bike:

View attachment 401382

Well, idea No. 1 is to buy Conti Gatorskin 32c tyres. Most likely I will stick to this.

And this is how the bike looks after the ride ....

View attachment 401383 [/QUOTE]
I would also consider M+. Not as free rolling but the best P-fairy protection around. The positive is when you get on your best road-bike you’ll fly!!!

StuAff

Well just as well I didn’t turn up.....

This morning:

View attachment 401385
Now you see, what you've got there looks like The Fridays' version of the Team Sky Death Star. When you turn up on tour we'll be expecting you to have installed a decent coffee machine, a screen and projector for the pre-ride briefing, and have some turbo trainers ready to go for the post ride warm-down.
:smile:

Fab Foodie

Now you see, what you've got there looks like The Fridays' version of the Team Sky Death Star. When you turn up on tour we'll be expecting you to have installed a decent coffee machine, a screen and projector for the pre-ride briefing, and have some turbo trainers ready to go for the post ride warm-down.
:smile:
I’ll mention it to the boss....

StuAff

Well, that was interesting…
Evening got off to my favourite start when, despite work going to the 9.30 wire, I made the 9.38 train of choice (the next one is 10.08, so in plenty of time, just less plenty...). This is definitely not a given, it's a race against time, so nice to win it. So, mobile changing room it was, followed by the first of the evening's meal deals. The train slightly undid my efforts by being late into Waterloo by five or six minutes, but that left plenty of time for nattering with @AKA Bob who was already at the Costa, before we made our way to the NT. A somewhat depleted peloton awaited us, quite a few people deciding the mild ambient moistness forecast was reason sufficient to bail. A few more decided to call a halt in the early stages. Whereas in my case it was more a case of: Choose a bike with mudguards. Pack the rain trousers. Ride. This ride did not really register on the toughometer. For those of you not familiar with the toughometer, here it is courtesy of @anothersam
toughometer-jpg.jpg

The numbers of regulars or at least one or two rides under their belt was a bit low. Fortunately, plenty of our newcomers stepped up to the waymarking plate and acquitted themselves well, with the odd slightly odd bit of positioning just to keep things 'interesting' for those following. There were no repeats of the 'which way round the roundabout because the way marker's left his post' incident from Whitstable last year, thankfully.

I had the dubious honour of being first, and I think longest, mechanical, thanks to the chain. No, not that chain. The Litespeed's got form for this- those on the Brussels ride a couple of years back will remember @mmmmartin successfully bodging a 10 speed link onto the 11 speed chain, plus the messaging service helpfully provided by a couple of lovely cops from the Dilbeek PD. I had a bit of a warning the other week (oh, the benefits of hindsight) when, during degrotting after the March century, the chain first knotted itself and then the joining link spontaneously broke (seriously, the bike was just parked up, I was taking a breather from trying to sort the aforementioned knotting, when bang, it split). After that, my friendly LBS replaced that link (just the two at this stage...) and I bought another for the tool bag. Back to last night…in the bus lane on Waterloo Bridge, I felt and heard what I thought was a chain drop. Er, no. Drivetrain was now ideally setup for a really good clean, and really hopeless for forward propulsion. I found the chain on the road, and it possibly had a good flattening courtesy of a TfL bus. Nick and Ross successfully wrangled the chain back into working order, but it now had three quick links (?!!) and sounded absolutely terrible in pretty much every gear, particularly on the big ring, which gets rather more use. Thankfully, friendly LBS is open on Sunday afternoons. New chain and a couple of quick links for the tool bag (assuming they're OK) ASAP. Between the drivetrain issues and malt loaf (lack thereof) issues, plus the headwind, speed was a bit lacking. Fasted resistance training, innit....

Opening stretch of Titus' route had a few variations, featuring more canalside riding than previous instalments and a twisty stretch that suggested a mini version of Lombard Avenue in San Francisco. Nice, though before long we were back to the same old same old urban sprawl. In drizzle. And a headwind. Nice.

Junction 31. How we have missed you. No, we haven't. Best feature remains the loos. The hand dryers are very good. As a retail experience, dismal. Overpriced, mediocre selection of nosh and epic queuing. Gordon and I agreed on the train it had got worse. Most of us followed Titus' advice and brought sandwiches. In my case, augmented by a £1 cup of Something Not Entirely Unlike Tea from the machine (which was unhelpfully broken last year), the least hideously priced hot drink option. Amused to see a rather sparse-looking breakfast option (£4.99! 'Fresh' allegedly) with Beans in Ramekins…

On we went, numbers further depleted by some making for a train home. And finally into the Nice Bits of South Essex. And, unfortunately for those who really don't like climbing, some hills. That climb into Rayleigh is a bit of a bugger, though I somehow got my second-fastest time on that stretch! And then, after that evil little rise into Leigh-on-Sea, down to the final stretch, and onto Beaches only half-an-hour later than Titus had forecast. 9.00…a very late breakfast indeed, but not surprising given the conditions and resulting fairy visits. And the twenty-five minutes needed to sort my chain. Soz.

Self, Titus and Gordon were the last to leave Beaches, and we opted to get the 10.18 train. Rammed until East Ham, but cleared there. The other two left at Limehouse, and I went to the end at Fenchurch Street. Just missed the noon train home, and got the 12.30, which promptly ran late. Back home for tea and a much needed nap at 1415 or so.

Thanks one and all. Hopefully, a bigger turn-out and better weather for Whistable. And need I mention the magnificence of the midway stop's cake offerings? :smile: Just for a change, I'll be doing a night ride on Friday (yes, actually on Friday!), the recce for my IOW ride. Forecast is for rain. But of course....

Last edited:
Top Bottom