FNRttC Southend Ride Friday 23rd March 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Having caught a cold on friday morning i wouldn't have to worry about catching one later...

A base layer, jersey, 2 jackets and a gilet and i was laughing at the drizzle

I noticed the Proviz jackets looked plain grey in the mist (check out the pics) and also those who were riding without mudguards, does all of the gunk on your jackets wash out?

I saw Sram Red Etap on an Enigma last night very nice. (Which reminds me i've got Dura Ace di2 the first version getting parts are an expensive nightmare rear mech £800 £300 of which is tax and custom charges.)

For a moment after leaving J31 i thought Titus was having a Mouseketeer moment leading us around to Hanningford and Rayleigh but it was a refreshingly flat..ish ride.

Thankyou Titus Gordon Nick Ross and the Fridays for a lovely ride, pics up later today.

Last edited:

rb58

Enigma
Definitely a ride of two halves. The first half was challenging - persistent drizzle that never really got beyond the threat of a full-on deluge, mechanicals and visitations aplenty, and the most difficult, least scenic exit from London of all the rides (although the St Katherine's Dock and Shadwell Basin variations were terrific and a welcome addition). However, those that persisted were rewarded with an excellent second half, where we cruised along through quiet lanes on (mostly smooth) tarmac with non-existent traffic. Most enjoyable. All followed up by beer and breakfast. What's not to like?

Those who are in the area should make a point of returning to visit the turkey farm in November. Thousands of turkeys climbing over that hay stack are a sight to behold. I usually take @ianrauk with me - he speaks 'turkey', which adds to the fun!

I counted six punctures, one broken chain, one broken light, one seized rear wheel, one broken rack.

Big thanks to @AKA Bob and @Gordon P for keeping the front rolling so smoothly, to all the way markers who did a splendid job, and to @Nick Saddlesore (and then Carl, not of this parish) for keeping me company at the back.

I've consulted the Gods and have been told the Whitstable ride will be dry, warm and we'll have a following wind. See you there.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Here's a pic of the Proviz jacket (it's a summer night jacket)

G0102044.JPG

here's the pics

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcUpd4W

Attachments

• G0102044.JPG
    G0102044.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 55

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Tyre recommendations:
Schwalbe Marathon: Cheap. Tough as old boots. Quick (not fast) if you keep them at maximum pressure, slow if you don't. Not a forgiving ride, even on 700x28mm.
Schwalbe Durano Plus: @redfalo doesn't rate them, I do. As relentless as a Terminator, and almost as tough. I've done thousands of miles (ten to fifteen thousand I think) on three sets and one puncture ever. Again, keep them hard & they run fast. You fit them. You inflate them. You change them when they wear out. Done. If Jens Voigt were a tyre, he'd be one of these.
Schwalbe Marathon Supreme. As currently worn by the Litespeed. Fast comfy yet tough. Not cheap, but worth it.

Avoid: Schwalbe Marathon Racer. Compared to the other Marathons, made of cheese. Quick but pretty fragile. My set on the Litespeed punctured two or three times, including my only FNR visitation. Chutney's set have been a little better, but then much less mileage....

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[QUOTE 5192946, member: 21629"]Well. We all have got our own attitudes.

Drizzle for you - cold rain for me.

I also think that people who decided to stay at home have made a clever choice.

Hopefully I will be able to go for Whitstable ride. It's a pleasure for me to finish the ride almost at the doorstep.

Goes to Google for the best anti-puncture tyres[/QUOTE]
Marathon plus. For when p*ncture faff is worth more than speed.

StuAff

Marathon plus. For when p*ncture faff is worth more than speed.
Bob had a puncture on M+ Saturday morning. I kid you not!

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Schwalbe Durano Plus: @redfalo doesn't rate them, I do.
This is an understatement, as I think they the worst tyres ever made. I find them not only slow (the speed difference to Conti GP4000 S2 is 1 kph) but also uncomfortable, as the bike feels like using wooden tyres.
During the summer, I use the Conti GP4000 S2, which are super-fast and good enough puncture wise. Oddly enough, come September, October I get one visitation after another, and change to Conti GP Four Seasons, which are almost as fast and much more puncture resistant (have to admit that I ruined one a couple of month ago, when I got a cut through the tyre which needed a boot - but I had this much more often when riding ordinary Duranos on the Moulton.

StuAff

Disk brakes what's all the noise? At one point about 10 bikes were in full cats choir mode
We were doing a service to our fellow riders by making sure they stayed awake.

On both the Trek and the Litespeed, the brakes go from sotto voce to Slayer and back again, sometimes even on a short ride. Contamination of rotors or pads, basically. Wet roads were bound to throw up a lot of grot onto them, hence noise.

StuAff

This is an understatement, as I think they the worst tyres ever made. I find them not only slow (the speed difference to Conti GP4000 S2 is 1 kph) but also uncomfortable, as the bike feels like using wooden tyres.
As so often, opinions on tyres vary, dramatically. 1kph? Is that a typo? In percentage terms, that's very small indeed...unless one is very slow indeed! I've only ever used the 25mms, 23s would definitely be less comfortable (or more uncomfortable, depending on one's perspective). @Auntie Helen is also a fan of D+…reports on her blog she's just put a new one on Millie the Milan after a puncture. First in 15 months, and after 9,000km. Much the same as my experience. I also remember Long Martin's controlled tube explosion at the Waterfront after a Whitstable FNRttC....

Top Bottom