spa steel tourer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jags

Guru
not sure if i asked this before but sure i'll ask anyway.

Spa steel tourer any of you folks riding one and whats your honest opinion.
if i can gather enough money together its on top of my list .
i want to build up a touring bike for summer,i have everything else
just need the bike.:rolleyes:

thanks folks

Jags.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Hi Jags

Ive never owned a Spa bicycle, though if its a steel tourer your after then Spa would be a excellent choice in my opinion.

Another one of my choices for your specifications would be Thorn Cycles in Somerset though I think the Thorns could be more expensive?

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
Hi Jags

Ive never owned a Spa bicycle, though if its a steel tourer your after then Spa would be a excellent choice in my opinion.

Another one of my choices for your specifications would be Thorn Cycles in Somerset though I think the Thorns could be more expensive?
Thanks i did have 2 Thorn bikes Sherpa and audax had to sell them stone broke . great bikes but very expensive so i reckon if i can get the spa tourer i can build it up with parts i have ,well near enough.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There is someone on here who has one. They posted photos of their Tour of the Netherlands. They look like lovely bikes.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I ride a Spa Steel Audax ... not quite the same thing but anyway ... it's a great bike. I love it. Spa were great to do business with both pre and post sale.

I wasn't so happy with the SRAM chainset and BB but the tourer isn't kitted out with them.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
Cheers Folks much appreciated for the reply's.
when i do eventually get it i want to 9 speed.have to check exactly what gear i have myself,
btw, would my wheels take the load of rear panniers (ortlieb classic) obviously loaded lol.
custom build mavic open pro 36 hole dt spokes 105 hubs 25mm gp4000 tires.
im hoping to get impact stronglight crankset, 11 speed sram cassette 11 to 32 but i'll drop the 11 make it into a ten speed ,anyway im way ahead of meself here but sure no harm planning.

thanks again folks.

jags.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
would my wheels take the load of rear panniers (ortlieb classic) obviously loaded lol.
custom build mavic open pro 36 hole dt spokes 105 hubs

How much do you weight? And how much weight would you be carrying?

I'd imagine you would be OK unless you are a pretty heavy rider and those panniers are very heavy too :laugh:..... you could distribute the weight better by using front panniers too if you are carrying too much in the rear panniers.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
12stone and a bit no idea what weight would be in panniers but all my camping gear is light, i wouldn't use front panniers if you paid me had them on the sherpa felt like i was riding a tractor awfull bloody things.
each to there own i suppose but i can get all i need into the rear ones. barbag might be handy tho.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
12stone and a bit no idea what weight would be in panniers but all my camping gear is light, i wouldn't use front panniers if you paid me had them on the sherpa felt like i was riding a tractor awfull bloody things.
each to there own i suppose but i can get all i need into the rear ones. barbag might be handy tho.

Your weight is fine and as long as you don't go crazy with the load on the rear panniers then you should have no problems at all.

Another way of tackling too much weight for a set of wheels when touring is to take a trailer but I think you are alright without.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
You should be fine with those wheels. I weigh half as much again and have 36 spoke chrinas, with a 105 rear hub (built by me) and sondeluxe front (built by Spa), with Marathon 28mm tyres. I haven't actually toured with mine, but have carried some serious weight in panniers. The bike as built up is quite a heavy lump, but rolls along very nicely when up to speed. Currently fitted with a Campag racing triple (30 40 50) and an 8 speed 13-26 cassette - would need lower gears for serious touring loads and distances in hilly terrain!
DSCN0827.JPG

@steveindenmark mentioned a couple touring the Netherlands - I think he probably means @totallyfixed and @dr_pink who have Spa audaxes and travel relatively lightly; no camping gear etc.

PS Before anyone comments on the amount of steerer showing, I intend to be riding this for the next 20 years or so, and I may lose some flexibility! I'd recommend this frame wholeheartedly as very fit for purpose. Note that the frame comes with a decent quality headset, but not fitted.

Last edited:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
You should be fine with those wheels. I weigh half as much again and have 36 spoke chrinas, with a 105 rear hub (built by me) and sondeluxe front (built by Spa), with Marathon 28mm tyres. I haven't actually toured with mine, but have carried some serious weight in panniers. The bike as built up is quite a heavy lump, but rolls along very nicely when up to speed. Currently fitted with a Campag racing triple (30 40 50) and an 8 speed 13-26 cassette - would need lower gears for serious touring loads and distances in hilly terrain!
View attachment 115053

@steveindenmark mentioned a couple touring the Netherlands - I think he probably means @totallyfixed and @dr_pink who have Spa audaxes and travel relatively lightly; no camping gear etc.

PS Before anyone comments on the amount of steerer showing, I intend to be riding this for the next 20 years or so, and I may lose some flexibility! I'd recommend this frame wholeheartedly as very fit for purpose. Note that the frame comes with a decent quality headset, but not fitted.

That looks lovely!!!!!

I'm so tempted to raid my piggy bank :smile:

I also think the OP would be OK on those Open Pro, having said that and as an observation only, the rigida chrinas are touring rims while the Open Pro is a much better looking rim that can be used as a touring rim within reason :smile:

I have always wondered why touring bikes tend to have those wear looking ( to me) gear changers :smile: What are the advantages? If any.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
yeah nice looking bike it can't weight anymore than the Thorn sherpa i had or audax come to that. i would defo get a 32 on the back my old legs would thank me for it.
Thanks for the photo much better one than spa cycles have lol.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
yeah nice looking bike it can't weight anymore than the Thorn sherpa i had or audax come to that. i would defo get a 32 on the back my old legs would thank me for it.
Thanks for the photo much better one than spa cycles have lol.

If you tell Spa what weight you want the bike to carry, you can trust them to build and supply appropriate wheels.

Having said that, 12 stone and a few pots and pans sounds bugger all to me, so you've no worries anyway.

Top Bottom