spa steel tourer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the snail

Guru
If you're planning on doing tours with a lot of luggage, I'd stick with 9 speed. This allows you to mix road and MTB components and get the range of gears you want for loaded touring with sti shifters. If you go with 10sp, then you could use 5703 triple with a smaller granny ring, 11sp doesn't really offer a good touring option. The 9sp setup spa offer as standard makes a lot of sense to me. Shimano sell endless options for road bikes and MTB, but they don't really cater for touring bikes at all, especially with the higher end stuff.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Having cycled with and without them, I know when I'm touring and I might not have easy access to a shower, mudguards make a huge difference when the roads are wet or when its raining. I don't know, maybe even a psychological difference. I also have them on my commuter bike.

The biggest downside to me are the fact that if you are transporting your bike in a box there's the pfaff involved in taking them off and putting them back on. Also add in if you need to change a flat sometimes they are a pain when you are taking the wheel off. But for me given the advantages, I'll stick with them.

Slightly off topic, but I'm interested to know why many travellers have mud guards on their tourers.

I've done two six-week tours on hybrid bikes without using guards. The weather wasn't always sunny and dry but the rain/wet legs was never a problem: rain shorts and leggings were more than adequate for me to keep moving along happily.

Why do you other travellers opt to have guards? I'm just curious, that's all.

I have had mine for nearly 4 years now and done 3 tours on it including Germany, Belgium [some serious lumpy bits there] The Netherlands and of course the UK. Here is mine in full touring mode. Both of us tour on a 53/39 chainset and 12/25 cassette.
IMG_2283_zpsqmzdtghz.jpg

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
I have had mine for nearly 4 years now and done 3 tours on it including Germany, Belgium [some serious lumpy bits there] The Netherlands and of course the UK. Here is mine in full touring mode. Both of us tour on a 53/39 chainset and 12/25 cassette.
IMG_2283_zpsqmzdtghz.jpg
i like it u don't seem to be carrying much stuff (credit card touring )? lovely set up exactly the same as meself except of course for the big gears.

gottogetfit

not sure if i asked this before but sure i'll ask anyway.

Spa steel tourer any of you folks riding one and whats your honest opinion.
if i can gather enough money together its on top of my list .
i want to build up a touring bike for summer,i have everything else
just need the bike.:rolleyes:

thanks folks

Jags.
I have one in red. I bought it at the begining of last year & so far have done local rides 3 times a week, 4 short camping trips & coast & castles south. I love it. I tried a few other bikes before opting for the Spa. I spent a day at the shop test riding, getting an idea of set up & any changes to the build. I then waited a couple of weeks for it to be ready. I then spent another day at the shop fine tuning it. I was then told to come back with any tweeks I felt needed doing or if happy come back after 500mls for a check up. I can't fault it & if ever I had to replace it, it would be the same. Buy one, you won't regret it.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
IMG_2283_zpsqmzdtghz.jpg
Whoops! I told the good folks on here that you both had Spa audaxes, rather than tourers. Is my face red!!!:blush:

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
I have one in red. I bought it at the begining of last year & so far have done local rides 3 times a week, 4 short camping trips & coast & castles south. I love it. I tried a few other bikes before opting for the Spa. I spent a day at the shop test riding, getting an idea of set up & any changes to the build. I then waited a couple of weeks for it to be ready. I then spent another day at the shop fine tuning it. I was then told to come back with any tweeks I felt needed doing or if happy come back after 500mls for a check up. I can't fault it & if ever I had to replace it, it would be the same. Buy one, you won't regret it.
Cheers im saying hard believe me.im not stuck for a bike i have my Terry Dolan letape to keep the smile on my face but i just wan a good touring bike for summer tours.sounds like a great company to deal with happy days.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
looks like a heavy duty tourer nice tho.
i had near enough the money together for the new spa tourer but unexpected bill came in the feckin door so now im back to sq one lol .

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
looks like a heavy duty tourer nice tho.
i had near enough the money together for the new spa tourer but unexpected bill came in the feckin door so now im back to sq one lol .

Sorry to hear about the bill....

You can do lots of things with this frame, use it as touring bike, winter bike or simply as MTB hard tail.

I like what somebody has done with it as a touring bike....... see picture

Surly Ogre.jpg

e-rider

crappy member
Condor make a nice tourer, it's called the Heritage. If it's too expensive though you could look at the Surly LHT which is good value for money - it's not amazing quality but it's also not expensive!

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Hmm the only thing I question about that is that I'm not sure I'd want to strap a pump close to the front wheel on that front fork. I know it may never come loose.... but if it does.....

Sorry to hear about the bill....

You can do lots of things with this frame, use it as touring bike, winter bike or simply as MTB hard tail.

I like what somebody has done with it as a touring bike....... see picture

Top Bottom