spa steel tourer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Hmm the only thing I question about that is that I'm not sure I'd want to strap a pump close to the front wheel on that front fork. I know it may never come loose.... but if it does.....

You don't have to, you can attach the pump to the seat post if you like or the down tube.

I've seen the frame in the flesh and I wasn't disappointed. Very versatile. I think I could build a bike with that frame and make two other bikes complete surplus to requirement and also get the tourer that I need by simply replacing the other two bikes with an extra set of wheels. Get rid of the old MTB and the winter bike.

iandg

Legendary Member
You should be fine with those wheels. I weigh half as much again and have 36 spoke chrinas, with a 105 rear hub (built by me) and sondeluxe front (built by Spa), with Marathon 28mm tyres. I haven't actually toured with mine, but have carried some serious weight in panniers. The bike as built up is quite a heavy lump, but rolls along very nicely when up to speed. Currently fitted with a Campag racing triple (30 40 50) and an 8 speed 13-26 cassette - would need lower gears for serious touring loads and distances in hilly terrain!
View attachment 115053

@steveindenmark mentioned a couple touring the Netherlands - I think he probably means @totallyfixed and @dr_pink who have Spa audaxes and travel relatively lightly; no camping gear etc.

PS Before anyone comments on the amount of steerer showing, I intend to be riding this for the next 20 years or so, and I may lose some flexibility! I'd recommend this frame wholeheartedly as very fit for purpose. Note that the frame comes with a decent quality headset, but not fitted.

Wish I'd considered column length and ageing when I set my Aravis Audax up over 10 years ago. I cut off the excess column/steerer as I was comfortable in a much lower position in my mid 40s. Now in my late 50s I'm regretting it - considering switching everything over to a Spa Tourer (I have a set of canti brakes in the spares box in the shed) to get the extra bar height (and the option of 32c tyres).

Last edited:
Top Bottom