Spain - hints and tips for a road trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
If you get the chance to visit Oviedo and Santiago de Compostella? Fascinating places and would go back bike or no bike :smile:

Booo, Puta Oviedo y Puxa Sporting!

Gijon is criminally under looked, OK, Oviedo is the capital & has better architecture but anything better than Cimadevilla? Plus it doesn't have a beach, Gijon has Playa de San Lorenzo and others and it's bigger & livelier, the beach wins out innit?^_^

Aviles is another stunner just along the coast.:heat:

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
If you get the chance to visit Oviedo and Santiago de Compostella? Fascinating places and would go back bike or no bike :smile:

Booo, Puta Oviedo y Puxa Sporting!

Gijon is criminally under looked, OK, Oviedo is the capital & has better architecture but anything better than Cimadevilla? Plus it doesn't have a beach, Gijon has Playa de San Lorenzo and others and it's bigger & livelier, the beach wins out innit?^_^

Aviles is another stunner just along the coast.:heat:

Ah, my Spanish is improving. "I like Oviedo and love Sporting?" ^_^

They look interesting but in the wrong bit of Spain I think for this trip.

Agree with the comments about Benidorm, the British part is deeply embarrassing and not my idea of a holiday but my parents have a retirement apartment there so, no choice. On previous visits I've hired a car and I think we've been everywhere within 2 hours drive. I love the colours of Altea and the little craft market by the church. I've been in Valencia for a Catalonian festival/Independence day thing - wow, the fireworks! Alicante is wonderful for the shaded tree-filled squares just back from the front (reminded me of Savannah, Georgia) and Murcia is heartbreakingly beautiful - well, the one block of the old town that's beautiful :laugh: but Cartagena is possibly the place I've loved most on my trips - I only wish I'd arrived there by sea the first time and discovered it the way it's meant to be discovered.

Ah, my Spanish is improving. "I like Oviedo and love Sporting?" ^_^

They look interesting but in the wrong bit of Spain I think for this trip.

Agree with the comments about Benidorm, the British part is deeply embarrassing and not my idea of a holiday but my parents have a retirement apartment there so, no choice. On previous visits I've hired a car and I think we've been everywhere within 2 hours drive. I love the colours of Altea and the little craft market by the church. I've been in Valencia for a Catalonian festival/Independence day thing - wow, the fireworks! Alicante is wonderful for the shaded tree-filled squares just back from the front (reminded me of Savannah, Georgia) and Murcia is heartbreakingly beautiful - well, the one block of the old town that's beautiful :laugh: but Cartagena is possibly the place I've loved most on my trips - I only wish I'd arrived there by sea the first time and discovered it the way it's meant to be discovered.
Ah well, that top left hand corner gets sadly overlooked. Like nowhere else in Spain. The 'pilgrimage' to Sant de Comp across the Picos de Europa is the best ride I have ever done.
Another favourite is Alhama de Granada to Granada, anyhow i digress, Alicante is a totally underestimated place, millions fleeing the airport and missing a real Spanish gem.

Top Bottom