SPDs + Singletrack: Discuss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
tjw_78

tjw_78

Hehe, stop squabbling! ^_^

My new roadie is bloody fast, but would break on the rough stuff - see, compromise!

GilesM

Legendary Member
Trouble is, its better to have the seat post higher on the long drags in between the technical sections. Its all compromise....

Sorry I wasn't very clear, I was refering to your handlebar stem length, a shorter stem can often help with the weight distribution on the descents. Also try a gravity dropper seat post, expensive, and a bit heavier, I've had one on my full suss for the last few months, I love it, so easy to change the saddle height on the move.

OP
OP
tjw_78

tjw_78

Sorry I wasn't very clear, I was refering to your handlebar stem length, a shorter stem can often help with the weight distribution on the descents. Also try a gravity dropper seat post, expensive, and a bit heavier, I've had one on my full suss for the last few months, I love it, so easy to change the saddle height on the move.

No, its all right. I mis-read your post. I can see that would make sense, although concerned it would cramp me up on the flat. I'm tall, but much of my height is in my back, not my legs (my MTB (Spesh Rockhopper) I bought 'off-the-shelf', but my road bike has been set up properly for me, and I have a medium-large frame (Giant Defy), and but a really long stem).

The Gravity dropper seat post sounds interesting, might look into that as it could really help. How expensive?

GilesM

Legendary Member
No, its all right. I mis-read your post. I can see that would make sense, although concerned it would cramp me up on the flat. I'm tall, but much of my height is in my back, not my legs (my MTB (Spesh Rockhopper) I bought 'off-the-shelf', but my road bike has been set up properly for me, and I have a medium-large frame (Giant Defy), and but a really long stem).

The Gravity dropper seat post sounds interesting, might look into that as it could really help. How expensive?

I came from the world of road riding into mtbing, it was a while before I really realised the benefit of the shorter stem, but I'm now totally converted, to help stop the cramped up feel, the wider bar option is also a big help.

For gravity dropper seatposts:

The one that seems to be the favourite at the moment and always gets the best reviews is the Rockshox Reverb, and it's pricey, see link:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=66878

However, you may be limited by your seat tube inside diameter, the smallest for the Reverb and many others makes is 30.9mm, so if like me you have a bike with 27.2mm, you are quite limited, which is why I went for one of these from Fusion, still pricey, and probably needs a bit more maintenance than the Reverb, but it does work well, and I'd hate riding of road without one now.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/x-fusion-hilo-suspension-remote-seat-post/

Cubist

Still wavin'

Several on the market right now. (I'm gonna put one on my new build)
Crank Bros Joplin, which work well and you can find at £110 with straight lever or £130 with a handlebar remote. Review well in current guise.
Pure Racing KS i950 Again, reviews well and is out there for around the £180 mark , with added remote options.
Giant Contact. Only available in 30.9 apparently, but cheap at £150- 170 all in.
Gravity droppers range from simple £170 to remote etc at £240 plus.
Rockshox Reverb. Industry standard and absolute favourite, £200 plus incl remote, but folk swear by them

Crank Bros have just announced a new type, the "kronolog" with an air spring instead of hydraulics, and this may well be lighter. No idea how much they'll be or when they'll be available, but it looks good in the release photos.

OP
OP
tjw_78

tjw_78

Hmm, its a nice idea. But with a 6 week old baby spending all my bike money of nappies (seriously, I forked out £300 on the little 'un yesterday - love to pieces though), I think I'll take a rain check.

Right now what is going to make me faster in AR races is training, and running faster!

GilesM

Legendary Member
Hmm, its a nice idea. But with a 6 week old baby spending all my bike money of nappies (seriously, I forked out £300 on the little 'un yesterday - love to pieces though), I think I'll take a rain check.

Right now what is going to make me faster in AR races is training, and running faster!

Unfortunately, the only real way to go faster is more training or EPO, I'd stick with the training option. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
tjw_78

tjw_78

Unfortunately, the only real way to go faster is more training or EPO, I'd stick with the training option. :thumbsup:
Don't Evans have a sale on EPO at the moment?

Top Bottom