SPDs + Singletrack: Discuss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ultraviolet

it can't rain all the time....
i love spd's on easy stuff like 'out of town' road riding or non-technical XC, but, soon as you have to slow right down to a snails pase on a peace of very technical singletrack where a foot off might have to be done very quickly spd's just are not the right tool for the job

Cubist

Still wavin'
i love spd's on easy stuff like 'out of town' road riding or non-technical XC, but, soon as you have to slow right down to a snails pase on a peace of very technical singletrack where a foot off might have to be done very quickly spd's just are not the right tool for the job
Practise those same techy bits on flats first so that you can learn to carry the speed and line through them. Once you have mastered the basics then you can think of progressing. Unclipping shouldn't be a big deal. I cannot think of the last time that I actually had to THINK about unclipping. It's simply a part of riding.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Practise those same techy bits on flats first so that you can learn to carry the speed and line through them. Once you have mastered the basics then you can think of progressing. Unclipping shouldn't be a big deal. I cannot think of the last time that I actually had to THINK about unclipping. It's simply a part of riding.

I totally agree, it becomes so natural after a while, I can remember a few occassions recently on slow techy sections where I hae had to unclip quickly to prevent a fall, and I don't think it took any longer than if I'd been on flats.

ultraviolet

practice? one of the nicest things about singletrack trail riding is not knowing whats coming up. but, i surpose if your on purpose made MTB tracks with a convenient carpark and a small cake shop this is great advice :-)

practice? one of the nicest things about singletrack trail riding is not knowing whats coming up. but, i surpose if your on purpose made MTB tracks with a convenient carpark and a small cake shop this is great advice :-)

Never underestimate a cake shop, especially one that does a full Welsh breakfast as well.

And seriously, trail centres often have a skills area you can practise on.

ultraviolet

Never underestimate a cake shop, especially one that does a full Welsh breakfast as well.

And seriously, trail centres often have a skills area you can practise on.

very true. been riding MTB since '84' and i've found that flats work perfectly for the type of off-roading i do. get the right ones and your feet will never slip off in any weather, just not that good up-hill

Speedywheelsjeans

Some of the downhillers now ride clipped in. I think Danny Hart and Sam Hill always do.
Yea, but have you seen those guys!!

Cubist

Still wavin'
If I come across a piece of "organic" trail that needs a lot of thinking, I'll go back a do it until I'm confident. It's not about the trail itself, it's about upping my own confidence and skill levels. If it's that bad I'm off and walking anyway............^_^

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
very true. been riding MTB since '84' and i've found that flats work perfectly for the type of off-roading i do. get the right ones and your feet will never slip off in any weather, just not that good up-hill
I've been riding off road since I discovered "bombing down the woods" in 1968. 'Proper' MTB ownership/riding since '94 and I've found SPD's work perfectly for all the types of off-roading I do. Get the right ones and your feet will never slip off in any weather, you won't have a problem unclipping, and they are great up-hill. :whistle:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

in these parts that is mostly called 'trespassing' :angel:

Top Bottom