SPDs + Singletrack: Discuss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Care to enlighten us what it is that you are a pro at gaz ? ^_^
Falling off :thanks:

Keith Oates

Janner
When I started MTB/Offroading a few weeks ago I had platform pedals and didn't like it as my feet were slipping over bumps etc. so have fitted clipless. I went out with a group yesterday and did an 85 Km ride, which was mostly single track over some technical sections and found the clipless pedals were fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've riding and racing single track with spds since the '90s. Had a couple of spd moments in the first year, but now I can clip out without thinking about it, fast enough to catch myself when I begin to loose it in corners.
I can't imagine going back to flats, they just feel slower and I hate having my feet jump off the pedals in the rough stuff, never happens with spds.
It takes a while to become completely comfortable with spds, but it is so worth it.
The posted article was interesting, but in general wrong. For example spds offer a lower centre of gravity than flats, placing the spindle closer to the foot. Unless the article was talking about new skinny flats..

zeroaxle-3.jpg

the_bing

Über Member
clipped in. have done so for at least 15 years. wouldn't do it any other way. minimal tension on the cleats mean you can unclip quick. not too loose so you can still bunny hop stuff quickly (otherwise smashed nuts on the top tube)

Just been mtb'ing last week and was thinking of this thread. Once again, clippless, just big boots on spd pedals with a platform side, the kids of course don't ride clipped pedals and whilst I'm not the most dynamic rider, son no1 definitely is, taking to the air on most jumps and none of us had any real problems, I certainly didn't feel less safe, nor did I feel I was at a disadvantage climbing. Not using clipped pedals mtb'ing suits me but it may not suit you is about the only conclusion you can draw really.

pshore

I've settled on M545 (flats with doubled sided spd) and ride with Specialized BG shoes. When I get to a knarly downhill I can unclip and get just enough grip on the pedal to be happy to stand and ride the technical parts. There is not enough grip to start doing big jumps unclipped like that. The 520s (spd but no flat cage) are too slippery to ride unclipped IMO.

SPD's are great for cross country style riding, but for highly technical twisty single track I love riding proper flats. I find I push it harder into corners because I know I can have a dab.

screenman

Legendary Member
I find I can get a quick dab when clipped in, I do however find that I do not have to do it often. I suppose it is down to experience and confidence, I have used them since 1990 and do not feel at ease when not clipped in.

marekbuk

I've been using SPD's on my road bike for a couple of years now and have proudly never fallen off- however!!!!
Last weekend I fitted a pair of SPD's to my Felt Pro MB and went for a leisurely canal towpath ride up here in west yorks. Took the bikes off the car rack, shoes on and I' set off to follow my missus up and over a cobbled canal bridge over the canal. My wife stopped in at the top of the bridge to admire the stonework ( or whatever ) - I anticipated that she was going up and over the bridge so didn't see the stop coming - and neither did my feet! I topped over onto my left hand side - pedals firmly fixed to my feet! - 1 week later and I'm still shamed, bruised and limping! - yorkshire stone cobbles are hard I can tell you!
A Pair of Kona JackShit Primo pedals arrived in the post yesterday - these are going on today!!!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
sorry to disappoint but riding flats does not prevent you from falling off, especially if a misjudgement is the root cause. Gravity wins every time.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I always ride clipped in, but this is more to do with the fact that the last time I rode a bike that I wasn't mechanically attached to was in 1977. The common wisdom amongst the best riders seems to be that it is better to learn to ride properly off road with flats, and then when you move to clipless you have the benefit of the clipless pedals, but the correct skills, I plan to get some flats and spend a few months riding with them, as this should make me a better rider, however, clipless have become my comfort blanket and I'm struggling to think about riding without them, definately make sure I've got some shin pads on when I first try the flats. I never have a problem unclipping, I think it does become second nature and very natural after a while, and I do ride some very technical rocky, rooty, steep stuff, at the weekend I road some very steep hidden trails at Innerleithen (too steep to walk up type stuff) and as cubist mentioned in similar situations, getting going after stopping can a bit tricky, but there were lots of trees to hold onto as I clipped in. If you just want to enjoy your riding and have fun on normal trails, learn to ride with the clipless and stick with them until you have no concerns, if you want to take on more serious stuff, have a go with flats just to help your skills along.

Reluctant

I did my off road learning with toe clips and straps! But then saw the light and got SPDs in '92 - they're better than sliced bread.
The OP is riding in Swinley Forest, which is 95% easy flowing singletrack, nothing too gnarly and ideal to get used to SPDing. Keep at it - you'll be fine ^_^

GilesM

Legendary Member
I did my off road learning with toe clips and straps!

I rode my first mtb with clips and straps for a couple of years, but I really didn't do anything techincal enough to really worry about getting my feet out quickly, the thought of riding the stuff I do now with toe clips is a bit scary. I rode cyclocross with clips and straps, and shoe plates, (special cyclocross ones with spikes for helping you run up muddy slopes) looking back that really was bad, however that was a few years before Look had invented the first clipless road pedals.

Top Bottom