SPDs + Singletrack: Discuss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ultraviolet

it can't rain all the time....
in these parts that is mostly called 'trespassing' :angel:

i call that getting a little lost :-)

OP
OP
tjw_78

tjw_78

Thanks for the many, many comments.

My main reason for MTBing is Adventure Racing (if you're not familiar: http://www.adidas-ar.com/2011/ and http://www.triadventure.co.uk/).

Since getting spds (M520s) at Christmas (see original post) I've been praticing, and do generally like them a great deal.

However, in this period I've done two 2-hour races:
In Feb I rode with the spds. They were great going up hill, but in a few of the down hill spots I got very nervous, and consequently became very slow. Add to this time taken swapping shoes during transition (from the trail run) and I had a poor race. I just scrapped into the top 30.
In March I put on a pair of new flats (Nukeproof Protons). Perhaps I lost some speed on the flat, but I was just so more secure going down hill. Had a much better race and had a good top-20 finish.

The problem tends to be that because the spds are under the ball of the foot I can't seem to get my weight far enough back on the bike to have control of it. (I'm a very lanky 6'2"). On the flats I can shift my feet into a different, and better position for the descent.

I think I will keep the flats on the MTB for the time being, for both short races, and having fun at Swinley. If I'm doing something longer, which is likely to be generally benign, then I stick on the spds.

I may be 34 but have only been riding for just over a year. Picked up first road bike the other day - I think, once I'm used to it, the spds will go there.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The problem tends to be that because the spds are under the ball of the foot I can't seem to get my weight far enough back on the bike to have control of it. (I'm a very lanky 6'2"). On the flats I can shift my feet into a different, and better position for the descent.
hmmm... see my picture
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I'm a very chunky 6' 2" and clipped in can ride with my arse touching my rear tyre, without dropping my seatpost from its normal postion, in complete control. Is that far enough back?

Cubist

Still wavin'
You need to feel confident simply dropping your heels. You get best benefit of that from having the ball of your feed on the pedal spindle.

OP
OP
tjw_78

tjw_78

More practice needed. However I've got a 4 week old baby so can't see that happening any time soon. All training time goes into doing miles...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
More practice needed. However I've got a 4 week old baby so can't see that happening any time soon. All training time goes into doing miles...
you can practise it on the flat. it is how it is taught, and I don't know why but it is actually quite good fun....

Cubist

Still wavin'
Car Park Captain time. ..... get into an empty car park and learn body shift, wheelies, manuals, trackstands, bunny hops, pedal hops, speed hops, stairs, drop-offs, log rolls....... behave like a teenager on a BMX. By the time you hit the trails you'll be chocolate. Oh, and keep ypur SPDs!^_^

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Car Park Captain time. ..... get into an empty car park and learn body shift, wheelies, manuals, trackstands, bunny hops, pedal hops, speed hops, stairs, drop-offs, log rolls....... behave like a teenager on a BMX. By the time you hit the trails you'll be chocolate. Oh, and keep ypur SPDs!^_^
If there was a 'Love' button for a post I'd click it. I'd only say, start on grass.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Yeah, I can't do that

How long is your stem, perhaps a slightly shorter reach would help, it would also improve your position for steep descents.

I just had a look at the adventure racing links, that looks horrible and is just going to be hours of pain, good luck.

OP
OP
tjw_78

tjw_78

How long is your stem, perhaps a slightly shorter reach would help, it would also improve your position for steep descents.

I just had a look at the adventure racing links, that looks horrible and is just going to be hours of pain, good luck.

Trouble is, its better to have the seat post higher on the long drags in between the technical sections. Its all compromise....

Top Bottom