SPDs + Singletrack: Discuss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
That would be the idea, yes... either the M324's (or M520's with platforms) would seem to be the ideal dual-purpose solution allowing me to be on flats with the kids in tow, and clipped in when trail bashing myself.
Got M324's on the ruff stuff tourer but won't use them when MTB'ing. Too much faff to get the correct side uppermost when you need to be clipped in.

I find M520's, which I have on one or two bikes, almost impossible to ride on for any distance when not clipped in.

M424 I reckon is the way to go, if budget is tight, or M545 if your more flush. I've more money than sense, and ride on the cleat choking clays of Sussex so I've got M647 on the mtb.

Wellgo do a range of removable pedals; I've a pair of spd's and a pair of flats to go on my Brompton. Takes about 5 seconds to swap them over. (Not a cheap option though)

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Got M324's on the ruff stuff tourer but won't use them when MTB'ing. Too much faff to get the correct side uppermost when you need to be clipped in.

I find M520's, which I have on one or two bikes, almost impossible to ride on for any distance when not clipped in.

M424 I reckon is the way to go, if budget is tight, or M545 if your more flush. I've more money than sense, and ride on the cleat choking clays of Sussex so I've got M647 on the mtb.

Wellgo do a range of removable pedals; I've a pair of spd's and a pair of flats to go on my Brompton. Takes about 5 seconds to swap them over. (Not a cheap option though)
Cheers Greg :thumbsup:

I'd spotted the M424s, which I guess are perfect if you want the option of cycling in normal footwear (i.e. trainers, walking shoes or, er, slippers). Since I habitually pull on my Shimano MTB shoes when riding now, the M424's would always end up being clipped in. With a "platform one side, cleats the other" pedal (such as the M324), I could wear my normal cycling shoes but ride either clipped in or not.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Cheers Greg :thumbsup:

I'd spotted the M424s, which I guess are perfect if you want the option of cycling in normal footwear (i.e. trainers, walking shoes or, er, slippers). Since I habitually pull on my Shimano MTB shoes when riding now, the M424's would always end up being clipped in. With a "platform one side, cleats the other" pedal (such as the M324), I could wear my normal cycling shoes but ride either clipped in or not.

A common misconception. You just move your foot slightly off the clipped in sweet spot and zero clippage occurs. Then pedal as if you were on flats. It only becomes a problem when you forget you are not clipped in!

I found the graunch graunch of cleat on pedal a little disconcerting, and it messes with the finish, but that is true of M324 too. Wearing mtb shoes with cleats on a platform pedal puts my teeth on edge tbh, and can be very very slippery. Got A520 on the fast tourer/audax bike. Riding on the platform side in mtb shoes (Spesh BG Sport) with cleats (not tired it in road shoes with cleats), especially when pushing off from a stop, is a hair raising experience; your feet just slide straight off the pedal, like ice on teflon,and I've got the scars on my shins to remind me.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
A common misconception. You just move your foot slightly off the clipped in sweet spot and zero clippage occurs. Then pedal as if you were on flats. It only becomes a problem when you forget you are not clipped in!

I found the graunch graunch of cleat on pedal a little disconcerting, and it messes with the finish, but that is true of M324 too. Wearing mtb shoes with cleats on a platform pedal puts my teeth on edge tbh, and can be very very slippery. Got A520 on the fast tourer/audax bike. Riding on the platform side in mtb shoes (Spesh BG Sport) with cleats (not tired it in road shoes with cleats), especially when pushing off from a stop, is a hair raising experience; your feet just slide straight off the pedal, like ice on teflon,and I've got the scars on my shins to remind me.
Thanks again Greg – really appreciate that input. So do you not twist out the M424's as you would with the M520's (that I'm used to)..?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
afaik entry/exit is identical M424 vs M520 vs all Shimano SPD's i.e. exit is determined by cleat type (single/standard release SH51 or multi release SH56 ) not pedal itself.

Which begs the question... what cleats have you got?

mrmacmusic

Veteran
afaik entry/exit is identical M424 vs M520 vs all Shimano SPD's i.e. exit is determined by cleat type (single/standard release SH51 or multi release SH56 ) not pedal itself.

Which begs the question... what cleats have you got?
Ah, I see... I did wonder. I've got standard SH51 cleats, so I guess I'll be twisting out regardless of which pedals I opt for. Off to see what the difference is with the SH56 "multi-release" cleats.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Clipping out becomes so much of a second nature that there is virtually no chance of a clipless moment. It has the added bonus of making it second nature on the road too

They can become a bit of a disadvantage on steep rocky ascents, especially if you stutter to a halt and can't get going again, and if I know I'm going to be on stuff like that I have the M545s.

screenman

Legendary Member
The article was about a down hiller, not a single track ride. I feel they are a bit different, I do agree with Cubist second nature and all that. I have used SPD since they come out so maybe I am a tad biased, seems odd riding not fixed in to be honest.

However, I still struggle a bit especially on steep very rocky uphill sections eg where you are almost at a standstill and have to put in a big push to get over a large rock and don't know if you're going to make it or not!!

That's the incentive to make sure you put in the extra effort to make it. Its too easy to bail it early without clipless. I have used clipless mountainbiking for a decade and wouldn't do it any other way. It makes sure your feet only leave the pedals when you want them to and it gives you so much more handling control over the bike.

OP
OP
tjw_78

tjw_78

That's the incentive to make sure you put in the extra effort to make it. Its too easy to bail it early without clipless. I have used clipless mountainbiking for a decade and wouldn't do it any other way. It makes sure your feet only leave the pedals when you want them to and it gives you so much more handling control over the bike.

I've only done one ride on the spds so far that wasn't flat, I I certainly felt the incentive to keep going on the hills, but there was certainly a panic feeling as I started to run out of gas.

I adventure race, and am really in two minds as to whether to keep the spds on, or go back to flats. The other niggling issue is that my wife is 8 months pregnant and this would be a really bad moment to have a crash of significance...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've only done one ride on the spds so far that wasn't flat, I I certainly felt the incentive to keep going on the hills, but there was certainly a panic feeling as I started to run out of gas.

I adventure race, and am really in two minds as to whether to keep the spds on, or go back to flats. The other niggling issue is that my wife is 8 months pregnant and this would be a really bad moment to have a crash of significance...
did plenty of polaris and trailquest adventure races when I was young, slim, and good looking. All on SPD's

I'd consider not MTB'ing competitively at all for a bit if SWMBO was about to pop...

The article was about a down hiller, not a single track ride. I feel they are a bit different, I do agree with Cubist second nature and all that. I have used SPD since they come out so maybe I am a tad biased, seems odd riding not fixed in to be honest.

They had an interview with a downhill guy but the rest of the article was just about riding flats or SPD's, course irrelevant.

Top Bottom