Specialized Allez v Boardman Race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobsinatra

Über Member
Hi

I have these two road bikes. One is a Specialized Allez, the other is a Boardman Race.

As the Specialized Allez is XXL it fits me better, so I use this bike for longer rides.

But I find this difference weird about them. When I am in the big ring on the front and smallest cog on the back, the Specialized Allez feels so less powerful on the flat compared to the Boardman.

Once I generate a bit of speed on the flat with Specialized, I don't feel like bike has any real kick as there is no resistance in the chain.

Whereas on the Boardman, I feel like I can really motor as even at speed, the chain feels relatively tight.

I am not sure it is the difference between a Race bike and a standard road bike, but is quite strange.

I did use to struggle into getting into this gear on the Specialized and had to put in a new ring as the teeth had worn out.

But even after this, the difference is still noticeable when I switch between the bikes

I have attached a picture of the two bikes.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

BS

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201110-214037_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20201110-214037_WhatsApp.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 33

si_c

Guru
I doubt it has anything to do with the chain - there won't be any slack in the chain at all and if there was no resistance in the freehub then you wouldn't be able to pedal either.

Looks like the bar to saddle drop is a bit more on the Boardman - this would put you in a position with a much reduced frontal area - and it appears from the photo that the head angle on the boardman is a bit steeper too which would result in a more aggressive feeling ride. I reckon it's down to the geometry of the bikes more than anything else.

I have two road bikes similar to yourself - one with a more upright geometry and one like yours with a more race feel to it, both have the same groupset which was installed on both bikes earlier this year and the Domane feels very sedate when compared to the Kinesis.

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
I doubt it has anything to do with the chain - there won't be any slack in the chain at all and if there was no resistance in the freehub then you wouldn't be able to pedal either.

Looks like the bar to saddle drop is a bit more on the Boardman - this would put you in a position with a much reduced frontal area - and it appears from the photo that the head angle on the boardman is a bit steeper too which would result in a more aggressive feeling ride. I reckon it's down to the geometry of the bikes more than anything else.

I have two road bikes similar to yourself - one with a more upright geometry and one like yours with a more race feel to it, both have the same groupset which was installed on both bikes earlier this year and the Domane feels very sedate when compared to the Kinesis.

Thanks for explaining that. Much prefer the feel of the Boardman, might start taking it out on longer rides.

si_c

Guru
Thanks for explaining that. Much prefer the feel of the Boardman, might start taking it out on longer rides.
The Domane has moved into being my winter bike, it's got full mudguards and is actually reasonably comfortable despite only having 25mm tyres compared to the 30mm wide tyres on the Kinesis. It's definitely a more relaxed ride though - I tend to take things a little easier on that bike and it's better in traffic as it's more upright so a better field of view. I do prefer the Kinesis though, it's a total blast so I take it out whenever it's dry.

The best thing to do is ride the bike you enjoy most, whichever that happens to be:okay:.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi Vickster

Would I determine that by counting the cogs by the rear wheel?

Boardman feels like you are driving a GTI Turbo whereas the Specialized feels like a 1.2 L Polo:cursing:
The number of teeth on the rear cogs and the front rings
Or just find the specs of each bike online, far simpler :laugh: This is a good site, you just need the model name and year, it’s fairly comprehensive
https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/
This the Boardman? https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/boardman/road-race-2011 although it’s not clear which cassette it has, so you may need to count (50-34 on front). Of course it may not have the same cassette as new

Are the bikes the same weight, have the same wheels, the same tyres? All of those can affect the feeling of speed or lack of.
if you prefer the Boardman, use that?

Last edited:
It will be the front chain ring you need to count. The Boardman Race looks like it has a 53/34 on it where as the Specialized Allez might have a 50/34 or even a 48/34 on it.

vickster

Legendary Member
The Allez specs
https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/2012/specialized/allez-sport
50/34, 12-27 assuming nothing changed since new
So the same up front (if unchanged)

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
The Allez specs
https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/2012/specialized/allez-sport
50/34, 12-27 assuming nothing changed since new
So the same up front (if unchanged)

Yes I bought the Specialized second hand.

I got a bike mechanic to give it the once over after I bought it, and he said it was a good bike.

Previous owner wore out the teeth on the rear cog, so had to get that replaced as shifting gears on the flat did not work.

I still prefer on this bike to leave the chain on the biggest ring, as when I move to smaller rings, can be difficult getting back to that biggest ring.

I have to be careful of crosschaining though and I did snap chain in the summer.

If I ever get a new road bike, will look for another one that feels like my Boardman.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes I bought the Specialized second hand.

I got a bike mechanic to give it the once over after I bought it, and he said it was a good bike.

Previous owner wore out the teeth on the rear cog, so had to get that replaced as shifting gears on the flat did not work.

I still prefer on this bike to leave the chain on the biggest ring, as when I move to smaller rings, can be difficult getting back to that biggest ring.

I have to be careful of crosschaining though and I did snap chain in the summer.

If I ever get a new road bike, will look for another one that feels like my Boardman.
That doesn't mean he changed the cassette exactly like for like

Sounds like it might need servicing if you are having issues shifting - maybe get all the cables renewed to start with :okay:

Top Bottom