Specialized Elite E5 with rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdcadillac

Hello All,

this bike is budget friendly ($1450 USD). It has decent features but the crankset is not shimano and the brakes are not Tektro but I find it has most of what I need without putting to find a perfect bike.
the only thing is I can not try it as it is 3000 km away. They have it on size 56 (1.75cm to 1.83). I am 183 cm so at the end of the edge. Any rider in my height that has try the 56 on this bike?
https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/allez-elite/p/171313?color=274140-171313&searchText=90020-4244
Thank you

AndyRM

XOXO
There are quite a few Allez riders on this board, and they are well regarded as being an excellent 'entry level' road bike.

It's quite common to have non-groupset brake callipers, and it really doesn't matter as the pads are what do most of the heavy lifting.

Likewise the chainset is a common deviation. Easily replaceable when it wears out, and it will.

BigMeatball

Seems a lot of money for an ‘entry level’ aluminium frame even in usd

I think so too, seems quite pricey.

Given it's entry level and the OP might want to sell it in the future when he wants a better bike, I'd suggest the OP to go check how well Specialized bikes hold their value in the second hand market. If he spends almost 2k to buy new but still manages to sell it for say 1k in 3 years, might still be a good deal.

Even better deal would be to buy second hand in the first place and get more for your buck.

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

It is cheaper that Cannondale synapse 105 and the Giant AR 1 and the Trek Domane 5. if it is in the same category then it should be ok price wise

vickster

Legendary Member
It is cheaper that Cannondale synapse 105 and the Giant AR 1 and the Trek Domane 5. if it is in the same category then it should be ok price wise
What are those frames made of? It’s unusual for Specialized to be cheaper if the same!

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

What are those frames made of? It’s unusual for Specialized to be cheaper if the same!
specialized Allez E5: Specialized E5 Premium Aluminum, fully-manipulated tubing w/smooth welds, 1-1/8"" lower bearing
cannondale synapse 105 : SmartForm C2 Alloy, SAVE, BB30, internal cable routing, flat mount

Giant AR1 : ALUXX-Grade Aluminum, disc

Trek Domane Al5: 100 Series Alpha Aluminium, DuoTrap S compatible, hidden mudguard mounts

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
With so many threads now started I'm finding it confusing as to what you are considering, what you have dismissed, then what has come back as a consideration again and why. Assuming I have selected the models that at some stage appeared in your other threads then they are not in the same category, the other three are endurance bikes, the Allez is set up to be quicker, more like the Trek Emonda you were once considering but dismissed as you found it unstable, that bike will feel similar interms of stability to the Allez. Note I responded to your initial conclusion in that thread.

An endurance bike by design is set up to offer mile eating fast yet comfortable miles, a faster bike still will chase that 'extra mile per hour' more than a 'extra mile'; more speed at the expense of comfort, look how much lower the stack height is of the three Endurance bikes are to the Emonda and the Allez. Lower they maybe but they are not silly, if you are reasonably flexible, ankles and better if you try and do a toe touch for example then you will then OK

Specialized Allez 56: Stack 574 Reach 395 Head angle 73.5
Trek Emonda ALR5 56: Stack 577 Reach 387 Head angle 73.5
Trek Domane 56: Stack 591 Reach 387 Head angle 71.9
Giant ML : Stack 595 Reach 383 Head angle 72.5
Cannondale Synapse Stack 590 Reach 386 Head angle 73

No harm in being thorough but there is always a danger of information overload, I'm sure we have all been guilty of this at some stage and by the time we finally decide the item has gone, in this case both the 'bike' and the 'summer'. In your very first thread you said you wanted a "bike mainly for training and one race a year in the future", if 'one race' is more the taking part than it is bursting into tears if you don't win then by way of reassurance every single one of those bikes above will fulfil that role

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

With so many threads now started I'm finding it confusing as to what you are considering, what you have dismissed, then what has come back as a consideration again and why. Assuming I have selected the models that at some stage appeared in your other threads then they are not in the same category, the other three are endurance bikes, the Allez is set up to be quicker, more like the Trek Emonda you were once considering but dismissed as you found it unstable, that bike will feel similar interms of stability to the Allez. Note I responded to your initial conclusion in that thread.

An endurance bike by design is set up to offer mile eating fast yet comfortable miles, a faster bike still will chase that 'extra mile per hour' more than a 'extra mile'; more speed at the expense of comfort, look how much lower the stack height is of the three Endurance bikes are to the Emonda and the Allez. Lower they maybe but they are not silly, if you are reasonably flexible, ankles and better if you try and do a toe touch for example then you will then OK

Specialized Allez 56: Stack 574 Reach 395 Head angle 73.5
Trek Emonda ALR5 56: Stack 577 Reach 387 Head angle 73.5
Trek Domane 56: Stack 591 Reach 387 Head angle 71.9
Giant ML : Stack 595 Reach 383 Head angle 72.5
Cannondale Synapse Stack 590 Reach 386 Head angle 73

No harm in being thorough but there is always a danger of information overload, I'm sure we have all been guilty of this at some stage and by the time we finally decide the item has gone, in this case both the 'bike' and the 'summer'. In your very first thread you said you wanted a "bike mainly for training and one race a year in the future", if 'one race' is more the taking part than it is bursting into tears if you don't win then by way of reassurance every single one of those bikes above will fulfil that role
I am almost finish Paul (hopefully) and thank you very much for all your help truly you are directing me toward the right bike.
I am closing up the loop to the following. the only thing is some have only size 56 ( I am 183 cm with 81 Inseam) and tried the ALR 5 size 56 and wasn't comfortable. As I mentioned before it might be the sale person didnt adjust the saddle correctly and with bike fitting it might be ok
Allez Elite E5 size 56
Synapse 105 alloy size 56 or 58
Emonda SL 5 2018 size 56
Giant Contend AR1 M/L
If i have to chose between the the 4 above I will go either Emonda SL or Elite E5 if size 56 is ok otherwise I will go the giant and sysnapse due to availability in different sizes
I need to understand how to measure my stack and reach without having a bike and then buy the bike that fit my stack and reach. ( the only reason is with the covid nothing is left in my area and I have to order online)
Again Thanks very much for your patience Paul.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I need to understand how to measure my stack and reach without having a bike and then buy the bike that fit my stack and reach. ( the only reason is with the covid nothing is left in my area and I have to order online)
You can measure your stack and reach but you won’t know what is going to suit you until you are actually riding the bike an both those things can be adjusted.

im a wee bit taler than you and like to use a 58cm frame. I’ve also got a 60cm which I can manage equally well. I’m just building up an old Trek SL aluminium framed racer and that’s 56cm, it might not be perfect but it’s still comfortable and I can fiddle about with the stem, stack and bars If I need to.

Don’t you have to pay duty on stuff from the US plus extra shipping?

Gunk

Guru
I’ve owned a couple of Allezs, IMO for that sort of money a BMC ALR01 Team Machine is a better bet, a bit more exotic and a higher level of finish

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

You can measure your stack and reach but you won’t know what is going to suit you until you are actually riding the bike an both those things can be adjusted.

im a wee bit taler than you and like to use a 58cm frame. I’ve also got a 60cm which I can manage equally well. I’m just building up an old Trek SL aluminium framed racer and that’s 56cm, it might not be perfect but it’s still comfortable and I can fiddle about with the stem, stack and bars If I need to.

Don’t you have to pay duty on stuff from the US plus extra shipping?
Thanks. Yes I have to pay 13% I think and we the currency exchange and shipping it will 1.5 the price :sad:

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
I am almost finish Paul (hopefully) and thank you very much for all your help truly you are directing me toward the right bike.
I am closing up the loop to the following. the only thing is some have only size 56 ( I am 183 cm with 81 Inseam) and tried the ALR 5 size 56 and wasn't comfortable. As I mentioned before it might be the sale person didnt adjust the saddle correctly and with bike fitting it might be ok
Allez Elite E5 size 56
Synapse 105 alloy size 56 or 58
Emonda SL 5 2018 size 56
Giant Contend AR1 M/L
If i have to chose between the the 4 above I will go either Emonda SL or Elite E5 if size 56 is ok otherwise I will go the giant and sysnapse due to availability in different sizes
That is quite a short inseam for someone 6ft, it correct?

I can't tell you a exactly what size you need from your height and inseam as bike fit is more than just those two dimensions. Flexibility, arm length, foot even hand size, round versus square shoulders, natural ankling, one rider of identical skeleton length may enagage their quads and another their calves; just a few things that influence bike fit.

You are buying online so neither a sizing or collection fit from a respected fitter is viable so you need to take a calculated leap of faith, you are definitely doing the former. At this stage providing that is your correct inseam I'd be betting on the 56cm Synapse, Allez and Emonda, link me to the very Giant you have been considering. I'd also concur with Cycleops, in as much as he can get three sizes to work, I'd wager the 58 Synapse would also be viable.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that, but 56 or 58 would be initial suggestions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

That is quite a short inseam for someone 6ft, it correct?

I can't tell you a exactly what size you need from your height and inseam as bike fit is more than just those two dimensions. Flexibility, arm length, foot even hand size, round versus square shoulders, natural ankling, one rider of identical skeleton length may enagage their quads and another their calves; just a few things that influence bike fit.

You are buying online so neither a sizing or collection fit from a respected fitter is viable so you need to take a calculated leap of faith, you are definitely doing the former. At this stage providing that is your correct inseam I'd be betting on the 56cm Synapse, Allez and Emonda, link me to the very Giant you have been considering. I'd also concur with Cycleops, in as much as he can get three sizes to work, I'd wager the 58 Synapse would also be viable.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that, but 56 or 58 would be initial suggestions.
no actually that is very helpful. the giant is the easy one as it comes on the M/L. Yes I might have a short inseam but only a good bike fit will tell that. Thanks Paul

Top Bottom