Specialized Elite E5 with rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

That is quite a short inseam for someone 6ft, it correct?

I can't tell you a exactly what size you need from your height and inseam as bike fit is more than just those two dimensions. Flexibility, arm length, foot even hand size, round versus square shoulders, natural ankling, one rider of identical skeleton length may enagage their quads and another their calves; just a few things that influence bike fit.

You are buying online so neither a sizing or collection fit from a respected fitter is viable so you need to take a calculated leap of faith, you are definitely doing the former. At this stage providing that is your correct inseam I'd be betting on the 56cm Synapse, Allez and Emonda, link me to the very Giant you have been considering. I'd also concur with Cycleops, in as much as he can get three sizes to work, I'd wager the 58 Synapse would also be viable.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that, but 56 or 58 would be initial suggestions.
I have stupid question, if my inseam is low than average. Then I have to look for lower stand over height? ( Ex if the Allez is 805 and the synapse is 787 the latter is better?

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
I have stupid question, if my inseam is low than average. Then I have to look for lower stand over height? ( Ex if the Allez is 805 and the synapse is 787 the latter is better?
No, it's not low enough that you need to worry about stand over height

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

With so many threads now started I'm finding it confusing as to what you are considering, what you have dismissed, then what has come back as a consideration again and why. Assuming I have selected the models that at some stage appeared in your other threads then they are not in the same category, the other three are endurance bikes, the Allez is set up to be quicker, more like the Trek Emonda you were once considering but dismissed as you found it unstable, that bike will feel similar interms of stability to the Allez. Note I responded to your initial conclusion in that thread.

An endurance bike by design is set up to offer mile eating fast yet comfortable miles, a faster bike still will chase that 'extra mile per hour' more than a 'extra mile'; more speed at the expense of comfort, look how much lower the stack height is of the three Endurance bikes are to the Emonda and the Allez. Lower they maybe but they are not silly, if you are reasonably flexible, ankles and better if you try and do a toe touch for example then you will then OK

Specialized Allez 56: Stack 574 Reach 395 Head angle 73.5
Trek Emonda ALR5 56: Stack 577 Reach 387 Head angle 73.5
Trek Domane 56: Stack 591 Reach 387 Head angle 71.9
Giant ML : Stack 595 Reach 383 Head angle 72.5
Cannondale Synapse Stack 590 Reach 386 Head angle 73

No harm in being thorough but there is always a danger of information overload, I'm sure we have all been guilty of this at some stage and by the time we finally decide the item has gone, in this case both the 'bike' and the 'summer'. In your very first thread you said you wanted a "bike mainly for training and one race a year in the future", if 'one race' is more the taking part than it is bursting into tears if you don't win then by way of reassurance every single one of those bikes above will fulfil that role
Hello Paul
I just checked Specialized Allez 56: it is not :Stack 574 Reach 395 Head angle 73.5 . it is not the same as Emonda I tried It is more relaxed Stack 596, Reach 385

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Hello Paul
I just checked Specialized Allez 56: it is not :Stack 574 Reach 395 Head angle 73.5 ....
As I said in that very post "With so many threads now started I'm finding it confusing", I was correct; I was :blush:. This could well be me just being a numpty in the 'copy and paste department', apologies; although those numbers do not appear anywhere else which is odd. Ironically I actually composed my reply after I clicked on your link to the Allez and noticed the low stack long reach and checked cross checked it with the UK Site to check if it was the same; as it was more aggressive than I was expecting.

There could be another explanation, I'd wager that in time that will not be the only data that does not match the bike I linked to; manufacturers edit them as errors get noticed. I will occasionally email Trek questioning their listed geometry, to their credit they check and amend as required. In any event you now have the correct data, at least we hope, some dealers have different numbers again, incase that data gets edited screen shot taken 27/07/20 as below!

Have you actually bought a bike yet?

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The trouble is TD comparing figures is fairly meaningless if you have no actual experience of the differing configurations of geometry. Same goes for the hierarchy of group sets. If I was in your position I would just go for a non too aggressive frame and base your final decision on the colour. As for trying to determine which make is better than another i and others on here will tell you there are no “bad” bikes or brands out there at your selected price point. You’re overthinking it, select a bike you like the look of, ride it and enjoy.

gzoom

Über Member
Hello Paul
I just checked Specialized Allez 56: it is not :Stack 574 Reach 395 Head angle 73.5 . it is not the same as Emonda I tried It is more relaxed Stack 596, Reach 385

I've been riding road bikes 20 years, all types, I've NEVER ever once looked up stack/reach/head angles!! You probably know more about bike geometry and setup than most people on this forum despite not owing a bike:smile:.

As other people are saying stop researching and just buy the bike you like the look of most for your budget.

Cycling really isn't about the bike, its about been on the open road and having fun.

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

As I said in that very post "With so many threads now started I'm finding it confusing", I was correct; I was :blush:. This could well be me just being a numpty in the 'copy and paste department', apologies; although those numbers do not appear anywhere else which is odd. Ironically I actually composed my reply after I clicked on your link to the Allez and noticed the low stack long reach and checked cross checked it with the UK Site to check if it was the same; as it was more aggressive than I was expecting.

There could be another explanation, I'd wager that in time that will not be the only data that does not match the bike I linked to; manufacturers edit them as errors get noticed. I will occasionally email Trek questioning their listed geometry, to their credit they check and amend as required. In any event you now have the correct data, at least we hope, some dealers have different numbers again, incase that data gets edited screen shot taken 27/07/20 as below!

View attachment 538273

Have you actually bought a bike yet?
Yes the Elite E5, it will take a week to receive it from the west end. I already tried the Emonda ALR5 and was tight. comparing both stack and reach help me know that the E5 is more relax fit.
Thanks Paul for your help

gzoom

Über Member
^Enjoy your new bike, once it arrives you can start researching bike number 2.

I did some miles on tracks like this last weekend, still undecided if its more 'fun' than road cycling but I do know if I had been on my road bike instead of my hybrid I would have fallen off very quickly!!

50154333943_de4358d083_c_d.jpg

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

^Enjoy your new bike, once it arrives you can start researching bike number 2.

I did some miles on tracks like this last weekend, still undecided if its more 'fun' than road cycling but I do know if I had been on my road bike instead of my hybrid I would have fallen off very quickly!!

View attachment 538412
Thanks, hopefully no bike 2 for now :smile:

Top Bottom