Specialized Hardrock pulled out of garage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LardyGarGar

Is this specialized hardrock worth doing anything with or is it destined for the tip?

Attachments

• IMG_0867.jpg
    IMG_0867.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 18

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's always hard to tell from photos, but as long as the frame is in reasonable condition (not cracked or badly corroded) then it should be salvageable. All other parts are just add-ons. Depends on what is seized/rusted beyond repair, and how much you are willing to spend. At a guess, it might need new brake and gear cables (inner AND outer), new chain if it's rusty (maybe cassette too), tyres/tubes. Nothing too expensive and all easy enough to fit yourself with the right tools. @SkipdiverJohn might have good advice :okay:.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
In my experience of buying (or just salvaging) old secondhand stuff, most bikes don't take a lot of effort to make them at least safe and useable. A lot of bikes are "virtue purchases" made under the buyer's good intentions to lose weight and get fitter, but then subsequently don't get used much after the initial novelty has worn off. That means a lot of them just spend years stored in dark garages and sheds where they gather dust & cobwebs in addition to the filth that was already on them at the time of being mothballed, but they might not have done that many miles. They don't look too promising when you get hold of them, but a lubrication overhaul and putting some air in the tyres is often all that is needed, without replacing a single thing.
Bikes that have been used as commuting hacks and parked or stored in the open, and ones that get skipped after first cluttering someone's back yard for 10 years, tend to be the ones with rusty chains, seized cables, stuck seatposts., and ripped saddles. Often they tend to be of the very low budget/BSO category, and are sometimes better used as parts donors rather than spending money on sorting them out. You'll never make a decent bike out of a junk full-sus frame, so for me the type and condition of the frame plays a big part in me deciding whether to sort out a bike and ride it, or strip it for spares and skip the leftovers.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Under all the dust it looks sound. Give it a wash, pump up the tyres and try it.
That would of been my advice to start with.^_^

Jody

Stubborn git
Is this specialized hardrock worth doing anything with or is it destined for the tip?

All depends on what you intend to do with it.

I'd stick it on Gumtree or somewhere rather than scrap it. Given the rust on the drive train and brakes you'll probably find the fork is a little seized.

OP
OP
LardyGarGar

LardyGarGar

Great advice thanks, frame is in good condition and the chain seems free after a good clean. Everything works but a little stiff so I think I’ll strip it down and lubricate as suggested. Needs a new back tyre. My lad thinks it will be ideal for his girlfriend with it being a small frame.

The hardrock was a good entry level mountain bike (rather than just a mountain bike type bike)
I had two (one was stolen) which were, by an 18 year old me, completely thrashed round old quarries etc, parts worn out and parts replaced.

It's worth repairing if you were looking to ride it yourself / someone in your family.

It's worth buying if you were looking to buy it second hand and fix /have fixed

It's worth selling on to someone who's happy to do a bit of work / have work done as people recognise the brand.

OP
OP
LardyGarGar

LardyGarGar

Well I’m very surprised, the bike has cleaned up well. The forks still have a bit of tarnish on them and I think the chrome has gone but it’s only in a small area. Once I cleaned and lubed all the gears they are spot on as well. Needs a new back tyre and if doing a proper job a new set of forks but it’s now functional.

Attachments

• 2647C603-D744-4E30-8CD4-109A2E3FAA33.jpeg
    2647C603-D744-4E30-8CD4-109A2E3FAA33.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 40EC65D8-C0D1-432C-BB2B-212911883817.jpeg
    40EC65D8-C0D1-432C-BB2B-212911883817.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 11
Well I’m very surprised, the bike has cleaned up well. The forks still have a bit of tarnish on them and I think the chrome has gone but it’s only in a small area. Once I cleaned and lubed all the gears they are spot on as well. Needs a new back tyre and if doing a proper job a new set of forks but it’s now functional.
Look what you would have missed if you had skipped it .

Top Bottom