Specialized Roubaix Elite or Expert 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
Hi

Anybody bought one of the above bikes? It's on my shortlist and my LBS recommends Specialized over Cannondale (they are main dealers for both) based on warranty claims - both quantity and how the manufacturer deals with them.

Would you care to share your experiences of the bike, especially the Futureshock system?

How do you find the sizing - I'm 5'7" and they recommend a 54 - tried one in the shops but without pedals (they were really busy and couldn't hang around) I couldn't get a true feel for it although I thought it might be more on the large side for me so, ahead of a return visit would welcome your thoughts.

vickster

Legendary Member

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Hi

Anybody bought one of the above bikes? It's on my shortlist and my LBS recommends Specialized over Cannondale (they are main dealers for both) based on warranty claims - both quantity and how the manufacturer deals with them.

Would you care to share your experiences of the bike, especially the Futureshock system?

How do you find the sizing - I'm 5'7" and they recommend a 54 - tried one in the shops but without pedals (they were really busy and couldn't hang around) I couldn't get a true feel for it although I thought it might be more on the large side for me so, ahead of a return visit would welcome your thoughts.
I bought the Roubaix a few weeks ago and am very pleased with it. One thing is a bit annoying, the internal cables rattle a bit on rough ground. I am also 5'7 and mine is a 56 frame and feels just right. The disc brakes are really good and gears smooth. Try both 54 and 56 frame with pedals on and ride both outside to get a good feel. Like I said, my 56 is perfect. See my other thread for a few more details.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Buck

Buck

Guru
I bought the Roubaix a few weeks ago and am very pleased with it. One thing is a bit annoying, the internal cables rattle a bit on rough ground. I am also 5'7 and mine is a 56 frame and feels just right. The disc brakes are really good and gears smooth. Try both 54 and 56 frame with pedals on and ride both outside to get a good feel. Like I said, my 56 is perfect. See my other thread for a few more details.

Thanks for the info - we're the same height so good to know re the sizing. I'm going to try and get back at the weekend to see if I can have a test ride on the 54 they have in stock and another in 56 (they don't have the Roubaix in that size at this particular store)

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Thanks for the info - we're the same height so good to know re the sizing. I'm going to try and get back at the weekend to see if I can have a test ride on the 54 they have in stock and another in 56 (they don't have the Roubaix in that size at this particular store)
Glad to be of help. Good luck.

Oldbloke

Guru
Hi

I bought a Roubaix Comp in June (my third Roubaix in 10 years), cannot fault it. The Futureshock works very well, don't notice the movement in it until I stand on the pedals although there is some noise from the spring.
There are 2 additional springs that come with the bike, giving you 3 options of suspension stiffness to allow for differing road surfaces. I use the medium one as my usual roads are well surfaced.
I'm 5'11" and ride a 56cms which is spot on; suggest you try all available sizes. Fantastic bike which I fully recommend!

No rattling cables on mine, @gavroche , are you taking the bike back for checking?

ps my previous models came with nasty cheappie wheels which werer soon replaced. This new one is fitted with much more robust rims, probably to cope with disc braking forces,

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
To the OP. I can't comment on the specific bike but I can comment on the Spesh warranty.

I cracked a frame on a Tricross earlier this year, the bike was three years old (might have bee four) and had seen a fair bit of mileage, they replaced the frame straight away no quibbles.

Hopefully you will never need it but they also do a crash replacement scheme which I have had to use twice. If you write off a bike in a crash they will sell you a frame at a ridiculously cheap price.

Warranty and crash scheme are only available to the original owner.

Sizing wise I'm 6' 2" and ride a 58 frame on Spesh bikes

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
I have the comp. and love it ..
My first road bike so can't compare to much, but the ride is real smooth and disc brakes work really well ..

Top Bottom